Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what can I use to stamp a VIN into a frame? I found a YFZ frame with papers and the bottom of the frame was cut for a gsxr motor. Is there a way I can stamp another VIN onto the existing frame?:mad:

·
Registered
238 Posts
In Michigan they don't have to be registered. But is it necessary for the VIN to be visible up there? I mean if you can still register it with the papers do you need the VIN on there just for the purposes of in case you got checked?

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Any body with one eye will be able to tell it is not an OEM yamaha stamp. Probably cause them to look in to it farther. Hopefully you dont get in to trouble restamping a vin.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What are you going to do with a YFZ chassis.......
I'm desperate....I went to RIV.ca and emailed them to see what I need to register my raptor frame in canada because its from the us. The guy I bought it from imported it, paid duty, and got a form1. He lost the form1 and the bill of sale is 3 years old. RIV.ca said I need a new bill of sale from the US seller to the guy I bought it from and a bill of sale from the guy I bought it from to me which can't be more than 15 days old. Next I need to pay the $160 RIV.ca registration fee, I need to pay duty again, I need the have a writen letter from Yamaha saying that there are no recalls on that model, I need to buy another form1, and have the bike inspected at Canadian tire to make sure the lights and everything comply to Canadian standards, and once it passes I can then pay to register it in my name, buy plates, buy insurance, and then buy a trail permit.....:eek: I figure if I get a YFZ ownership and stamp the YFZ VIn into my raptor and then powdercoat the frame I could insure and license it as a YFZ......This is the best thing I can come up with....I've been looking for a frame with ownership for over a year with no luck...and almost lost 375 dollars on ebay because of it....sorry for the novel:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I'm desperate....I went to RIV.ca and emailed them to see what I need to register my raptor frame in canada because its from the us. The guy I bought it from imported it, paid duty, and got a form1. He lost the form1 and the bill of sale is 3 years old. RIV.ca said I need a new bill of sale from the US seller to the guy I bought it from and a bill of sale from the guy I bought it from to me which can't be more than 15 days old. Next I need to pay the $160 RIV.ca registration fee, I need to pay duty again, I need the have a writen letter from Yamaha saying that there are no recalls on that model, I need to buy another form1, and have the bike inspected at Canadian tire to make sure the lights and everything comply to Canadian standards, and once it passes I can then pay to register it in my name, buy plates, buy insurance, and then buy a trail permit.....:eek: I figure if I get a YFZ ownership and stamp the YFZ VIn into my raptor and then powdercoat the frame I could insure and license it as a YFZ......This is the best thing I can come up with....I've been looking for a frame with ownership for over a year with no luck...and almost lost 375 dollars on ebay because of it....sorry for the novel:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
WOW:wow:, & I thought the DMV was a pain.Good luck Tommy

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sickofit- thanks I've been looking all accross ontario 3-4 times a day for a frame...I messgaed him about it...again thank you

rappy97- I've been asking everywhere if anybody had one and this YFZ frame is the closest I've come without spending $1500. I even considered spending all the money I had saved for my engine build to buy a busted blaster but I gave it to my engine builder instead :)

seg- I'm not sure on the requirement for doing that...insurance would be tough to get and I probably can't plate it....I asked at the local licence bureau but they had no idea...And I can't find info online....but people build dune buggies and licence them for the road here...I'll have to do some more research:mad:

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
What about a replacement OEM yamaha frame. They come with no vin numbers and you would have to apply for a vin number. I dont know if they would issue you a new number or would require you to have the old vin number in order to get a new tag made for your replacement frame.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd imagine that you would need your existing registration to get a new frame registered...otherwise you would have theives getting a new bike for the price of a frame...but again if I absolutly have to I could look into it and save up for a new one...I think they are about 1200 bucks?? There is one on ebay but its in the US so I'd be back to square one......FML

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
steel yfz frame is 500 bucks. Make a bill of sale for the engine and say you built it your self.

What do you think your chaces are getting a title and a new vin if you have the reciept for the purchase of the frame, and a bill of sale / reciept for the purchase of the engine?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
What about a replacement OEM yamaha frame. They come with no vin numbers and you would have to apply for a vin number. I dont know if they would issue you a new number or would require you to have the old vin number in order to get a new tag made for your replacement frame.
I had to transfer the VIN on my 03 F7 Firecat from one frame to another, it was a little different here though because I was the owner, I had inadvertantly placed the studding on the track about 1/8 to wide on each side and cut the rear tunnel into three nice pieces...............
I did save the original frame segment with the serial number JUST in case I needed it...............
Tommy, give my son a call, he was talking to the police at the last North Augusta race weekend, they had a road side blitz at the entrance, the cops really questioned him on his two yfzs, they are hand built bikes, never used on trails, they wanted them registered and suggested he do that immediately, so there must be a way to do this, especially if the cops are wanting it...............

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had to transfer the VIN on my 03 F7 Firecat from one frame to another, it was a little different here though because I was the owner, I had inadvertantly placed the studding on the track about 1/8 to wide on each side and cut the rear tunnel into three nice pieces...............
I did save the original frame segment with the serial number JUST in case I needed it...............
Tommy, give my son a call, he was talking to the police at the last North Augusta race weekend, they had a road side blitz at the entrance, the cops really questioned him on his two yfzs, they are hand built bikes, never used on trails, they wanted them registered and suggested he do that immediately, so there must be a way to do this, especially if the cops are wanting it...............
okay I'll go down to the licence bureau on monday and try to get something for a hand built bike. Whatever I find out I'll message you and let you know so you can tell your son. Are you going to north august today? I'm getting ready to go :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts