Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone gottin rid of there stock starter button and light switchs from there handle bars and replaced it with a dirt bike stop button.... a lot of mx quads i see have this set up.. i have no lights and was wondering if it was possible..

·
Registered
296 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
with the push button off a dirt bike.

a lot of ltr 450's have them just a single button..

just didnt know if anyone has done it on here or not... wondering how they did it

·
Master of the Electron
15,059 Posts
Yes, connect the added kill button to the blue/black wire... make sure the bars are grounded to the frame (add a ground wire if necessary).

When pushing the kill button (which shorts it's wire to the bars) the blue/black wire will go to ground, just as the stock starter button does.

IF you want to get rid of the run/stop switch too, just connect the red/white wire to the red/black wire and you can now turn the bike on and off via the key only.

·
THE SAND DUNES HAVE RULES ----- "Follow Them"-
732 Posts
has anyone gottin rid of there stock starter button and light switchs from there handle bars and replaced it with a dirt bike stop button.... a lot of mx quads i see have this set up.. i have no lights and was wondering if it was possible..
Yes, i did it. got kill button threw RMATV. Quadmaniac's post is close to how i did mine, and will work for you. :)

·
THE SAND DUNES HAVE RULES ----- "Follow Them"-
732 Posts
exactly what i needed to know thanks guys. what did your guys do with your choke?
I dont got no stinking choke!!!. I'm FI.

·
Master of the Electron
15,059 Posts
I don't use choke either, but I've heard that Harley choke levers, mounted down by the carb, work.

·
Registered
136 Posts
if i dont use the choke bike will cut out after a min tho everything is fine probally bc of how cold it is here and i like the thought of just being able to start bike with the key and nothing else my starter button went on my bike but what would you do about the lights? i likie the idea of them if i need them. and QM where are you grounding the bars out at andis this needed to use key only

·
Master of the Electron
15,059 Posts
If you don't ground the bars, you are depending on a metal to metal connection between the steering stem and the frame through a bearing - not always good contact - so if this connection gets lost (like due to greases insulating the bearing) the start button won't short the blue/black wire to ground and the bike won't start.

I'd make sure that the bars of clear of paint (if painted) where the switch's band contacts them, and where they are clamped by the bar clamp to the stem... then I'd put a wire under the bar clamp which leads down (with enough free play to turn the bars) to a clean, paint free spot on the frame, under an existing screw.

It is possible that the stem/bearing contact is decent... but some day, it might go away and you'll be stuck wondering why the bike won't start, without this external ground..

BTW, I have not made this mod; I'm just telling you how you can from my electronics experience.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
has anyone gotten rid of there stock starter button and light switches from there handle bars and replaced it with a dirt bike stop button.... a lot of mx quads i see have this set up.. i have no lights and was wondering if it was possible..
Yes it is possible, the bike I picture in my signature has only the bare necessities

1 - 13 of 13 Posts