Raptor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having symptoms of a bad starter clutch, spinning starter, motor not turning over though. Ive removed the plastics, fuel tank, cover, and the starter gears.
Heres my question. I read in the manuals i downloaded here how to test it. It should spin clockwise freely, but counterclockwise it should turn with the ac magneto rotor. It seems to be checking out just fine. I have not yet removed it from the engine though, i need to get a strap wrench.
I can test it while its still on correct? Or does it HAVE to be removed to test?
Second, what else may be causing symptoms similar to that of a bad starter clutch? It ran great other than some sputtering from old gas (presumably).
What else can i check? Might it be a snapped timing chain? What is the easiest way to check that? I thought it may be a seized motor but i can turn it at the crank with a 3/4 socket easy as shit.
Im new to this guys, and ive searched everywhere, so if this has already been asked i apologize, im just new to quads and this site.
Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and i already know about extreme and l and a designs brands, if i can narrow down the issue to the starter clutch then that is what i will install. I just dont want to spend money unnecessarily...

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
if the starter spins and the motor don't turn, pretty good bet its the starter clutch. Never seen any other causes for this unless the starter worked its way out and the starter gear isn't catching the rest of the gears. Might be worth checking...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
all the hardware as tight, including the two vertical bolts that also hold the cable bracket. What about the other ideas i put?
And we tried push starting it, but it was in thick grass. How fast does it normally need to be going for a push start? We had it in second but when we popped the clutch you could hear it almost catch but then the back tires would just lock up and that was it...

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
all the hardware as tight, including the two vertical bolts that also hold the cable bracket. What about the other ideas i put?
And we tried push starting it, but it was in thick grass. How fast does it normally need to be going for a push start? We had it in second but when we popped the clutch you could hear it almost catch but then the back tires would just lock up and that was it...
If you can almost push start it, sounds like the engine is okay, sometimes the oneway clutch can slip under extreme load and not under light load when you are checking it manually...........

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok. Ill be getting a strap wrench today and tearing it the rest of the way apart. Anything else i should replace/upgrade while im this far in it?

·
Master of the Electron
15,680 Posts
Try turning the engine over manually, CCW, using a socket on the crankshaft nut (through the left side inspection cover). Can you turn the engine through at least two full turns without locking up? If so, it's most likely the one-way. If not, the engine has issues.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i got it all apart today, and its not the starter clutch at all, just like i thought. I started doing the inspections on all the other parts and it was really hard to notice, but the output shaft on the starter was sheared off, and from trying to start it, it grounded itself smooth so it looked like it was supposed to be like that.
So all i need is a starter. Problem solved.
Any particular assembly fluid you guys use? Im not putting the shit back together dry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have a 2002 raptor 660 that has burn out one starter and a battery just replaced both of the now once i began to plug the battery up the starter automatically fires the bike up so i turn the bike of with the key and kill switch but the starter is still turning over all by it self would any one have any ideas what it may be

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have a 02 raptor 660 and the starter is staying ingaed even when i turn the bike off the starter is still turning over it is killing the battery i replaced both the starter and battery and still the same problem. would any only have any ideas to what would be the problem?

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,765 Posts
i have a 02 raptor 660 and the starter is staying ingaed even when i turn the bike off the starter is still turning over it is killing the battery i replaced both the starter and battery and still the same problem. would any only have any ideas to what would be the problem?
Your answer is in your other thread. Even a new battery needs charging. And use a genuine Yamaha replacement solenoid.

Reactions: 4stroker4life
1 - 11 of 11 Posts