Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2003 raptor 660 wouldn’t start so I took off the stator cover and have found metal shavings in it as well as my starter one way clutch does move in any direction.. so needing to know what I should do I have new starter clutch gear should I replace it someone help please
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gear Rim Automotive design

· Master of the Electron
16,159 Posts
Take it apart and look at the one-way clutch mating surfaces... Replace the one-way sprag assy, and if the gear's mating surface isn't smooth as a baby's butt, replace it too!

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was frozen solid, I replaced it think I put it on the wrong way but it moves freely one way like it should piston moves and all that bike wants to fire but it won’t. I have an electrical tester but I have no idea what I’m doing with it please let me know if I can guide me
Camera accessory Sports equipment Audio equipment Gadget Input device

· Master of the Electron
16,159 Posts
1st start over and carefully and COMPLETELY describe your symptoms now... in detail. We're blind - you have to make us see with your words.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now I have replaced it with a new one and now the one way starter gear spin freely as it supposed to now. So I put the cover back on now push the start button and the bike sounds like it wants to fire but it not sure if it’s getting fuel but Ik it’s getting air cause it sucks in starting fluid what to I need to check next

· Master of the Electron
16,159 Posts
Okay - so now it's time to go back to the necessary three - spark, compression, fuel.

1- check for continuous spark while cranking. Also verify that the I on the flywheel (under the little inspection cover) is visible at the same time piston is at top of stroke (proves that ignition timing should be correct)
2 - check for compression - use a compression tester.
3 - check for fuel - use starting fluid... does it try to run for a second or so? Then it's likely a carb issue - they're famous for getting dirty when sitting for a while.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts