Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:) I know that the starter clutch questions have been beaten to death on this forum because I've read every post on the topic. Of course I've come across a situation not covered by any I've read.... I have had my 03' Raptor for a year now and have always found it a bit clunky when starting...... I assumed this was normal (due to the large bore engine compression) until I started reading this forum..... My concerns grew the more I read so today for the hell of it, I pulled out my oneway and found it in perfect condition. Yes it is OEM, before you ask... The race on my flywheel has some slight scuffing on it, but nothing drastic. There are no metal shavings inside the case or anything else I'd expect to find if there were any real issues!! Only the scuffing on the flywheel.Is it possible for the clutch to be failing with no visual evidence.... I mean, my clutch looks brand new!!!??? I'm perplexed because I've never heard how a new Raptor would sound when started for comparison..... I don't really want to spend the $350 CDN to replace things which don't yet need replacement. Does anyone have a picture of a flywheel with a normal amount of wear on it???? And exactly how smooth should the starting sound...... I don' t know if that can be described... but any info would be great.....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mine looked perfect when i took it out, i would try spraying some carb cleaner in the flywheel were the stater rides to see if there is any clutch matierial. when i did mine that was the only sign that it was going. my quad also starts first push now with no clunking. i was kinda nervous when i pulled mine out because i thought that i had just wasted 300 dollars.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only evidence on mine was the clunk on starting and the wear on 52 tooth gear flange...... I have recieved all of my new parts and will install tommorrow..... I look forward to the moment of truth when she starts without the "clunk". That will make it well worth the $300. This is much cheaper than an eng overhaul would be......especially when I know it would have failed eventually.... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
827 Posts
if you got the money i would do it. if you dont then she will fail on you when you dont have the money and you'll be sittin at home while everyone else it riding wheelies past your house and chanting "nah na na nah na" ok so maybe i exagerated but its still the point..... have fun and its easy with the right tools...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine was doing exactly the same. So i stripped the Starter Gear down and seperated the clutch, The thin metal spring had caught in the clutch rollers. So i replaced it with another spring from a oil seal. No Noise when starting or turning off and has worked fine for 4 mths........... ;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have seen too many pictures of the devastation that can occur when the oneway lets go..... 300$ is well woth the piece of mind.....

·
Registered
69 Posts

the one way will look fine as mine did, but the problem is inside it ..the spring that holds all the little teeth in place goes bad. the inside of the oem actually pushes out and then you can see the spring...

good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts