Raptor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
mine just went out over the weekend and the shop wanted nearly 400 to fix it :eek:. why so expensive and could i just put in a new starter for cheaper?

·
Registered
7 Posts
you can do it your self for a hell of a lot less. Get a new one-way starter clutch from ebay for around $130 to $175, then just follow the directions in your service manual. drain oil,remove bolts, pull mag, etc.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Why do you need to drain the oil to replace/remove the starter?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The starter clutch is part of the flywheel, not part of the starter. If you don't drain the oil you get oil on your boots, trust me.
And a new starter is over $150.
Find raptortranny.com they have great step by step writeups for the oneway replacement and many others.

·
Registered
604 Posts
alright. gotcha...was thinking of the actual starter. How do you know if it is the starter or your starter clutch. Mine will just started developing a thing where it don't want to start. The starter will kick over and spin but there won't be any turning of the flywheel I'm assuming/guessing. Need a new starter clutch?

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Yep, that's a new starter clutch all right.

You'll end up with just under 300 bucks in parts and gaskets. Whatever you do don't have the dealer or anyone else install another OEM one-way. The aftermarkets hold up a lot better and a lot longer than OEM and they are less likely to destroy your engine if they go bad.

·
Registered
604 Posts
That frickin' sucks....Not what I wanted to hear. especially when low on funds. What is a good brand to go with? Is it safe to check into some of the ones on Ebay? Or basically I know the sayin' with ebay stuff as well. Want to start pricing so I can save up the money to buy what I need.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
You're looking for an L&A Designs or L&L Extreme brand one-way replacement. If it's not one of these two, don't buy it, and that includes OEM as that will fail again. You'll likely also need a new OEM 52 tooth starter gear and the goodies to install it all. Here's a link with a little more info.

http://www.raptortranny.com/one-wayguide1.php

·
Registered
604 Posts
Thanks for the info. This sucks royally!!! Just got done changing the oil the other day. wish I would have known. I was going to have to change the oil out agian after replacing the one way starter clutch. Oh well. Hopefully I can get things around and ready to go before it gets to nice agian

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry to hear about the starter clutch, it has happened to us all. check out RSPerformance. They have a whole kit the L&A Designs one-way and the 52 tooth gear and if I recall right the shipping is free. Besides they have great customer service. I just did mine. Good luck.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Make sure to read and follow the remove/install instructions from www.raptortranny.com exactly...... When it says LUBE EVERYTHING do it........I didn't lube the o-ring on the starter motor enough, causing the case not to fully seat which put stress on the starter motor shaft when I tried to start my quad afterwards and it sheared!!! I've since found out that you cannot purchase a rotor/shaft for the starter...not even from Mitsuba Corp. (the manufacturer) soooooo..... my little screw-up cost me another $220. Needless to say I'll lube the hell out of that seal when I get my new starter...... :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts