Raptor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This sounds like a dumb question...but how can I tell if my starter needs replacing. Had this raptor for a week now..started and ran great,,,NO issues. Lubed the new chain & greased everything up..just doing some tweaking, took it for a ride, turned it off then went to put in garage and sounds like starter turns over but does not ingage. Winding sound....no other warnings....is there anything I am missing here...anything I can try or check??

Any past experiences. This would be the first starter I have ever had go out on me...EVER....lucky me..1 week old

Any thoughts???

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just went to try again and same thing. Took the seat off and can hear it clicking back by the fuses and battery area?????

Seems like starter spins but doesn't engage.....just read the info on one way and not sure that is the case here????

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
Yes, starter one way bearing is slipping, sorry - replace with the L&A and this won't happen again.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Another scenario is the bolts thta retain the one way to the back of the flywheel are sheared, either way, the stator cover and flywheel must be removed..........

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
It can give warning - grinding or screeching noises during starting, but occasionally it does not. If it still grabs once in a while, it's the one-way for sure. If it doesn't grab at all anymore, it could be the one-way or sheared one-way mounting bolts, as Willy stated.

Pull the left side cover to find out. If the one-way (bolted to rear of flywheel) has come loose, you'll see it, and the bolts have sheared. If it hasn't come loose, but you can turn the 52 tooth gear in both directions, it's the one-way.

·
Git-R-Done
729 Posts
I have to replace my one-way too. should i replace the gear if mine still looks good?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I have to replace my one-way too. should i replace the gear if mine still looks good?
If the bolts are broken, and the oneway and gear look good, just replace the bolts, but if the bolts are still intact, and you change the oneway, you should change the 52 tooth gear with hub......

·
Git-R-Done
729 Posts
Thanks willy... the bolts are still intact so i just will replace all.

·
Git-R-Done
729 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah ..the L&A Kit I just ordered for min was $145.00. I didn't order the 52 tooth gear as I can't see that being bad as mine just stopped without warning. I think I would have heard some grinding or something if it damaged that...I may even get lucky and it just be the bolt (s) but figured since L&A gives Lifetime Warranty I will go ahead and replace it anyway. I think if you take some emery cloth and clean everything up that would help also. Make sure everything is clean and smooth, etc... If you order the whole kit WITH gear I think it was $225.00 ????
Thank you that responded as I am new to raptors...gave up my yfz450 for this one so hoping I don't regret that...LOL[/I]

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Yeah ..the L&A Kit I just ordered for min was $145.00. I didn't order the 52 tooth gear as I can't see that being bad as mine just stopped without warning. I think I would have heard some grinding or something if it damaged that...I may even get lucky and it just be the bolt (s) but figured since L&A gives Lifetime Warranty I will go ahead and replace it anyway. I think if you take some emery cloth and clean everything up that would help also. Make sure everything is clean and smooth, etc... If you order the whole kit WITH gear I think it was $225.00 ????
Thank you that responded as I am new to raptors...gave up my yfz450 for this one so hoping I don't regret that...LOL[/I]
I hope you don't regret not getting the 52 tooth gear. I replaced mine before it broke and did the same but I checked mine before. You should pull the cover off and check it out just in case you need to order one.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
There is no LIFE TIME WARRANTY.........
I talked to the owner, it is only through a dealer you get life time warranty, and I am not sure how they do it but if you talk to the owner of the L&A company, he says no life time waranty................

·
Registered
749 Posts
my '02 started to give a warning that the one-way was going bad (occasional "clunk" sound) and i immediately stopped using the quad....i ordered the whole kit, and good thing because the mechanic said my 52 tooth gear was trashed.

i hope you don't regret your purchase since you got rid of your 450! this is a very common problem, and after replacing the one-way with the new kit it'll start like new!

p.s. i still always started my quad in neutral even after installing the new kit (NO idea if that makes a difference, but i did it for piece of mind lol) and now out of habit, i still do it on the 700

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea hope I don't need the 52 tooth gear......if I need it when it is apart I will go ahead and order it and install entire kit. I am not doing the work as I just don't feel like attempting it...I was told that I more than likely won't need it.....as I have never had any issues and no type of warnings.....obviously hard to tell until it is opened up so guess I will know for sure the first of next week.....it says Lifetime Warranty on their site and I specifically asked them when I called earlier today.....probably like everyone else...will do their best to deny claim if that happens....blame it on abuse, neglect...install..something........lifetime warranty doesn't mean much anyway...not like most people keep their quads for more than a few years at most......I go thru 1 about every year or so myself so what is a "Lifetime"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts