Raptor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an 01 660 that had some issues. I was told it had starter issues so I bought a new one way kit from L&A. Well upon opening the starter cover I noticed the gears from the starter were chuncked and messed up. Then (thanks to one way installation sticky) I noticed I was missing the idler gears(?) that are on or around the starter cover and then there is no 52tooth gear either. Before I buy any more parts , what all do I need ? Like I stated earlier, I bought the L&A kit that has the two gaskets, the new one way, new 52 tooth gear and bolts. I am no mechanic but I can follow directions pretty well. And yes this my first Raptor. I really need some good advice. Thanks in advance.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Well if you have the 52 tooth gear all you need is the idler gears, one large and the other smaller and the starter gear should also look decent...............

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.....so I'll be buying idle gears and a new starter..I don't think you can just buy the gears on the starter(?)..thanks for the help..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
O.k ordered some brand new used gears and stuff from ebay today. Now I'm looking for a starter. Also what or where is the woodruff key? I got the nut and washer off the flywheel. Just gotta know what or where the woodruff key is so I can use the puller and return it back. Thanks

·
Master of the Electron
15,031 Posts
The woodruff key is in a slot between the flywheel and crankshaft - it is what keys the two together to set timing. When you remove the flywheel, the key will be in the slot in the crank end - or it may try to fall out - for this reason, plug the hole below in the sump with a rag or paper towels, so it doesn't get lost down in the sump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts