Raptor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am very new to this. I rode ATV's a bit when I was younger and just recently moved to a rural area where I can ride more, especially since ATV's are street legal here. So, I bought an 06 raptor 700. I believe its all stock other than an hmf slip on exhaust. I just ordered the trail tech vapor so I don't get myself pulled over for accidentally speeding. Sadly, I am already finding myself wanting more power after only having it for a month. I was hoping that someone could give me a full list of mods that I need to do and in what order to do them to squeeze as much power out of this thing as I possibly can. I know the first 3 should be intake, dual exhaust and PCV but do I need to do all 3 at once or can I get away with just 1 at a time? Does the PCV need to be first to keep from running too lean and frying the motor by putting on intake or exhaust first? After the main 3, what are the next most important mods? Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
PCV (with timing) should be first. Then true dual exhaust and good intake. After that its choosing a piston and cam combo that fits your riding style/area/purpose of build

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do a combo of track/trail and street riding. I just want it to pull a lot harder than it does right now. I'm ok with the top end speed as it gets a bit unstable at top speed here in SD due to the way all the highways are grooved here. I just really want it to get there a lot faster than it does now. I was gonna go with the DMC Force-4 exhaust system and the pro design pro flow intake system. I have no idea what to do about the piston and cam though. Should I go with a big bore kit? Whats the biggest one they make that is reliable if so? Or should I go with just a higher compression on the stock displacement or what? I dont know anything about what brands are best so any recommendations or links would be greatly appreciated..

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
You can make a pretty mean and reliable 700 with high comp stock bore and stock stroke. But alas, speed is relative. For example, if you drive an F1 car for a living, you might not think anything else is fast

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
In order performance modification
Power commander 5/ignition or msd
Dual exhaust(I prefer monster)
Fuel custom intake
^these mods are universal to whatever you end up doing in the engine

On a budget the next would be
Hotcam 3
+3mm bored throttle body
After this, you’ve exhausted what can be done without opening the engine.

being a kinda Midwest state I assume you have access to e85?
If so the next things I would do are a 14:1 compression piston and a larger fuel injector.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, since I moved out here I have not seen a gas station that doesnt have e85.
Is there a preferred brand on any of the above listed mods? I want as much reliability as can be expected on a moded engine. Dont want to end up with poor quality Chinese made junk.. 😆

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so I found a site where I can order all of this stuff.. Now I have more questions.
With the stage 3 hotcam, should I order just the cam or should I go with the full top end rebuild kit since I dont actually know what the condition is and when or if the timing chain has ever been replaced?
They carry a Carrillo 14:1 piston but it says race gas only. Can I just run e85 with that or do I need to add the racegas octane booster in the e85 or is that all off the table? I dont want to be stuck trying to find and keep on hand straight up leaded racefuel as I have no clue where to get that. Also, what are the general peromance differences running the stock bore 14:1 vs running a lower comp big bore kit?
Is it better to just order a full throttle body kit that comes with the new intake filter and higher flow injector instead of getting the pro flow intake that fits the oem throttle body since I know I plan to do all these mods anyway?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah and who are these "site sponsors" that I can order my PCV from and get the stock fuel map preloaded on it? I have not been able to find a site sponsor page and I want to get that ordered today or tomorrow so I can get this rolling..

·
Super Moderator
8,012 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

tweb has you pretty much squared away if you want to do the E85 route. But if you look in my sig it shows what I did to accomplish a pretty quick 06 as well. Look into porting.

What website are you looking at?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thats the website that I found. Again, if there are better places, please let me know. This is just the best I have found over the last few hours of digging on google. Lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can I just buy a ported head? I dont like the idea of tons of down time waiting on shipping to a machine shop and waiting.. Lol

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
Can I just buy a ported head? I dont like the idea of tons of down time waiting on shipping to a machine shop and waiting.. Lol
You can get a core and send it off.
E85 is the economical alternative to running race gas on higher compression engines, usually makes more power as well as runs cooler. I suggested fci because it does perform better and works with stock or bored throttle bodies. The hotcam 3 is a direct drop in replacement that does not require new springs, replacing the timing chain at the same time is not a bad idea.
If you go this route, you will have to find someone to dyno tune your bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I have a dyno guy 30 miles from me so thats not an issue. The issue for me is just finding what parts to throw at it. 😆

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found a big 3 kit that comes with force 4, pcv w/timing and pro design k&n with map preloaded for 1013.00 pretax. Is that about the best deal in gonna find for that setup?

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
I found a big 3 kit that comes with force 4, pcv w/timing and pro design k&n with map preloaded for 1013.00 pretax. Is that about the best deal in gonna find for that setup?
That is a decent setup and a fair price, but won’t achieve quite as much power, especially if you do the other mods as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Which part of that is going to be limiting me? The pro design intake? I can swap that out for the FCI w/ box and it will be 1123.00 total if thats what I need to do.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
The intake and the exhaust. You can also use the dynatek fusion instead of the power commander 5, it is the exact same product under a different name for $290 vs $320

1 - 17 of 17 Posts