Raptor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as the engine is cranking over, it will make a CLUNK noise every now and then and as it does this, the neutral light will flicker. Whats going on?

NO problems while the bike is actually running. Can I run it like this? Will it grenade my engine or something? Will a fucked up starter/gears in any way damage my transmission gears?

It sounds like 'crank crank CLUNK crank crank crank CLUNK'

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
So as the engine is cranking over, it will make a CLUNK noise every now and then and as it does this, the neutral light will flicker. Whats going on?

NO problems while the bike is actually running. Can I run it like this? Will it grenade my engine or something? Will a fucked up starter/gears in any way damage my transmission gears?

It sounds like 'crank crank CLUNK crank crank crank CLUNK'
Sounds as if you are having starter one way clutch problems, search this on the forum here............

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
Neutral light or temperature light (or both?)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Temp light wasn't on when I noticed this. It had been running a lot. I think I tried to start in in gear, and then I noticed this clicking thing. Happened after I stalled it on the trail. Something didn't like when this happened...but it doesn't sound like tranny problems right? Just starter gears? I'll check out the small gears and the starter clutch.

I searched, but could not find a tutorial on replacing starter clutch. Must be one? Seems like such a common problem here.

PS. Its BS there isn't a secondary way to start this thing!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Temp light wasn't on when I noticed this. It had been running a lot. I think I tried to start in in gear, and then I noticed this clicking thing. Happened after I stalled it on the trail. Something didn't like when this happened...but it doesn't sound like tranny problems right? Just starter gears? I'll check out the small gears and the starter clutch.

I searched, but could not find a tutorial on replacing starter clutch. Must be one? Seems like such a common problem here.

PS. Its BS there isn't a secondary way to start this thing!
There is a secondary method to start the raptor. Tow it. :D

·
Git-R-Done
729 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heres a large picture:

I can't pull the flywheel off without a puller, so for now I can't check out the one-way. GOD I hope thats the problem. What will I be looking for? The 52 tooth seems to look great..

As its cranking I can sorta feel a clunk as it does it if I put my hand on the cover.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You will have to get the fly wheel off. The wear on the 52 teeth is the surface the one way rides on. You will see when you get the fly wheel off. When the one way goes out, it usually damages the 52 teeth surface it rides on. I changed one out about 2 months ago, as many others have. Hopes this helps....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It does, thanks. I just want to be 100% sure before I buy a new one that its ACTUALLY the problem. My biggest fear is that it is a tranny gear or something...but is that possible if it only occurs when im cranking the starter? Oh, and the 52 tooth will not turn to the right, so is this a further indication of anything?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, on the one way being bad when you try to start it and it makes noise. The one way bearing will let the 52 teeth spin free one way and the starter turns it the other way to turn the motor over. After market parts are better than OEM, in the one way bearing.

·
Git-R-Done
729 Posts
Air gun works the best....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts