Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went on a ride this weekend and bike ran great no probs. Then i shut it off and the starter spun but it didnt sound like it was engaging. What is this? Any info appreciatteed

·
Registered
31 Posts
After reading on here, I assumed it was the one way bearing and 52 tooth gear. (Mine did the same as yours) 02 with very little time on engine.
So, I ordered $300 worth of one way bearing and 52 tooth gear. Tore into the side of the engine. One way was fine, 52 was fine, just the 6 bolts had sheared off the back of the flywheel. No metal shavings, metal chunks, nothing. Backed out the sheared bolt heads, bolted up new ones, slapped it back together and off I went ( now to find the heads of the old bolts:eek:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive heard it may be the one way starter bearing. Is there anyway to tell if this is it? The gear that comes out of the bottom left case that has 9 bolts up to the top right starter cover, the gear spins freely either way. Is it suppose to

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
After reading on here, I assumed it was the one way bearing and 52 tooth gear. (Mine did the same as yours) 02 with very little time on engine.
So, I ordered $300 worth of one way bearing and 52 tooth gear. Tore into the side of the engine. One way was fine, 52 was fine, just the 6 bolts had sheared off the back of the flywheel. No metal shavings, metal chunks, nothing. Backed out the sheared bolt heads, bolted up new ones, slapped it back together and off I went ( now to find the heads of the old bolts:eek:)
You will find them in the engine base, yopu need to find them also, before they cause more problems........

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah, figured that is where they are. What are the odds of finding them with an oil change?

When I took the engine side case off, my 52 tooth gear spun freely in both directions as well. Don't know my problem is the same as yours.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Ive heard it may be the one way starter bearing. Is there anyway to tell if this is it? The gear that comes out of the bottom left case that has 9 bolts up to the top right starter cover, the gear spins freely either way. Is it suppose to
No, it is not supposed to spin freely both ways, hence the name, One-way. You've diagnosed your problem.

Yeah, figured that is where they are. What are the odds of finding them with an oil change?

When I took the engine side case off, my 52 tooth gear spun freely in both directions as well. Don't know my problem is the same as yours.
You would have to be extremely lucky to happen to get any of them, let alone all of them to come out during an oil change.

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
RE missing bolt heads: With side cover off snake a telescoping magnet down into the sump, then put on a magnetic drain plug.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts