Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guy I purchased my 660 from put a toggle switch on my quad to start it, but it still requires the key. The wires to the starter button on the handle bars has been cut right at the CDI box. Also the oil light wire is cut, I can touch it to the battery and it comes on, is there any way I can hook the regular starter button and oil light up having them work properly without buyin a new wiring harness?

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
The 'wires to the starter button' don't come from the CDI. If you look at the wiring diagram (at the back of the free, downloadable factory service manual) you will see that one side of the start button goes to ground, the other to one side of the starter relay. Pushing the button shorts that side of the relay to ground. The other side of the relay gets 12V from the CDI when the CDI deems it safe to start the engine.

So... what's really been cut? Tell me wire colors and I'll tell you what they belong to.

Oh, there is no oil light - just temperature, neutral and reverse... I'd suggest a little reading of the manual to get more familiar with your machine.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
The 'wires to the starter button' don't come from the CDI. If you look at the wiring diagram (at the back of the free, downloadable factory service manual) you will see that one side of the start button goes to ground, the other to one side of the starter relay. Pushing the button shorts that side of the relay to ground. The other side of the relay gets 12V from the CDI when the CDI deems it safe to start the engine.

So... what's really been cut? Tell me wire colors and I'll tell you what they belong to.

Oh, there is no oil light - just temperature, neutral and reverse... I'd suggest a little reading of the manual to get more familiar with your machine.
+1 on this.............

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
BTW, on any modern bike (one that has a computer controlled CDI) don't arbitrarily connect ANY wires to battery plus, unless you know exactly what they are. This, in many cases, can permanently damage components like the coil or CDI and will take a bike that just had a cut wire and turn it into a cash pit that's difficult to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yeah I don't know why I said oil light, but the other stuff I had no clue that's why I asked you guys. I never fooled with any wiring on any quads, and just assumed one of the wires cut went to the starter button. Also I don't have a manual with my quad, so I can't read up on it like you suggested. But here is a couple pics to give you an idea of where I am coming from. And sorry taking up your time.

By thacker10 at 2012-05-03
These are the two that have been cut, yellow w/black stripe and blue w/black stripe

The green and black wire shown here are how the guy had a toggle switch hooked up to start it.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Yeah I don't know why I said oil light, but the other stuff I had no clue that's why I asked you guys. I never fooled with any wiring on any quads, and just assumed one of the wires cut went to the starter button. Also I don't have a manual with my quad, so I can't read up on it like you suggested. But here is a couple pics to give you an idea of where I am coming from. And sorry taking up your time.

These are the two that have been cut, yellow w/black stripe and blue w/black stripe

The green and black wire shown here are how the guy had a toggle switch hooked up to start it.
This bike has been altered, the wiring he used is not stock and neither is the solenoid. If he had the green and red wires hooked to a toggle switch, he sure didnt know what he was doing since if you turn the toggle on you are trying to start the bike through those two wires which are big enough to handle maybe fifteen amps...............
You should get the stoc solenoid and wire it back stock, there is a good wiring diagram in the on line service manual.
The yellow and black wire has power on it when the bike is in neutral or the clutch pulled in and the blue and black wire comes from the starter push button switch which is hooked to ground when you push the button.........

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yeah, I don't want it cobbed up, I like everything working properly if possible. Do know an estimate of about what it would cost me to fix it? And the best place to get the stock wiring and solenoid?

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
BTW, download the manual for free from the sticky at the top of the 660 Maintenance section. Full wiring diagram with color codes is on last pages... it's quite simple.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts