Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been trying to diagnose electrical problem. Raptor 90 2017

When press the starter button, nothing happens. No click, no power. It is like the button wasn't pressed. When kickstart it works fine and key and kill switch both work fine.

Replaced the starter relay and same problem. All connections seem good. Opened up the case where the starter button is and noticed the spring used was not retaining its form so provided no push resistance, so replaced it with another spring (trimmed a copper spring I had). Spring looks like it makes good contact so I don't think the spring is the issue.

If I pull the starter relay, I can put in a jumper and start it so I know the battery is fine. Using a simple electric tester, doesn't seem to have any power coming out of the relay, but I'm not sure it is supposed to.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I had a similar issue last year. I had replaced my starter solenoid with a cheap one from ebay because i didnt want to pay $60 for oem. I installed it just like my old one came out. Didnt notice that the chinese relay had reverse polarity until i looked closely at the letters on it. Turned it around and everything was fine. Just a thought...

Also, does the 90 have any safety switches that could be the problem? On the bigger ones they wont start in gear without the clutch pulled

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having same issue. Replaced solenoid and battery. Battery has 12.70 volts as Soon as I put just a little more power
You can start it with the switch. I'm thinking the CDI box is bad. Or maybe it's not grounded good. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was having same issue of not starting. Replaced start relay and now engine turns over using screw driver on solenoid. Engine will turn over with rear brake pulled and in gear but not when in neutral. Checked and have spark but still either way does not run. However, I can push start the bike and it will run no problem. Could this be a CDI issue? If so how to diagnose this and where to find a replacement for 2009-2013 bike?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try replacing the battery. I had the same issue and even when I would try to jump it it wouldn’t start, only after leaving a battery jumped to it for about 30 minutes would it start.After replacing the battery the problem went away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello guys. I just picked up a 90 today. And the battery is dead. I picked up a new one and currently charging it now. PO was able to kick start it and I was able to test drive the bike. Seemed to run fine. Back home now and its being really stubborn to kick start .. any thoughts?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts