Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to 4 stroke engines and I just bought my first 350 raptor. I brought it home and it started and ran fine, it was about 40-50 degrees out. It then got really cold (15-20 degrees F) so I let it sit for 2 days. Now it's about 40 degrees F outside and when I try to start it, it idles at about 4k rpm(trail tech computer) for about 20 seconds and then dies. I close the choke a little bit to try to lower the rpms, but it's really picky as to where i put it, it'll lower the rpms, but it will still die. Then it won't restart immediately, I have to wait about 30 secs to a minute before I try again and the same issue. Please school me on what's wrong, I'm a noob!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update

I checked the spark plug..pretty sooty, but not too too bad. Tried starting it with the airbox lid removed.....didn't idle high, but only stayed on for 5 seconds.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to 4 stroke engines and I just bought my first 350 raptor. I brought it home and it started and ran fine, it was about 40-50 degrees out. It then got really cold (15-20 degrees F) so I let it sit for 2 days. Now it's about 40 degrees F outside and when I try to start it, it idles at about 4k rpm(trail tech computer) for about 20 seconds and then dies. I close the choke a little bit to try to lower the rpms, but it's really picky as to where i put it, it'll lower the rpms, but it will still die. Then it won't restart immediately, I have to wait about 30 secs to a minute before I try again and the same issue. Please school me on what's wrong, I'm a noob!
Give us some background info on the quad..
did you buy it new or used?
Does it have any modifications?
give a few details..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought it used. It's an '06, bone stock except for a trail tech computer and a 1 tooth larger than stock front sprocket. It ran completely fine before I bought it and for 2 days after. Since then, it did sit outside for about 3 days in very cold weather(below 20 degrees) because I need front tires. Went outside everyday to start it. Today was the first day I had trouble keeping it started, and it was actually a little warmer. The other days it sat, it did start, had a high idle but went down to normal after a little warming up.

·
Registered
836 Posts
hmmmm i must say, thats pretty strange...

maybe you should pull off the carburetor and just give everything a thorough inspection/cleaning...

How do you like that trail tech? I was looking at one for my Raptor

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm hoping it has something to do with the extreme cold, but yea, my next step was to pop off the carb, although I'm not too familiar with rebuilding one. I appreciate you trying to help bud.

And yea the trail tech is sweet. Definitely a nice little gadget to have. Speed, engine temp, and tach are handy. Plus you got your time, hour meter, and mileage to help keep up with regular maintenance.

·
Registered
836 Posts
carburetors are pretty simple. Once you have yours out of the quad and on a work bench or something, you'll figure it out within a few minutes..

which model trail tech do you have?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. Yeah, I'll give it a go tomorrow and let you know how it turns out.

Also, I let the battery die by leaving the key on for a while. I charged it up and I rode it for 2 days, but then it sat and I only started it for like 5 minutes on the days I didn't ride it and when it started ok. Could that have anything to do with it not wanting to stay started if the battery ran outta juice 'cause I didn't charge it enough? It's actually dead now from trying to turn it over too much :(

I have the Vapor model. Just got Trail Tech to email me the manual so I can play with it a little more :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts