Raptor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! So I have had a hell of a time trying to figure my 2004 Raptor 660 out. Started off last year, I started experiencing electrical issues. I went through a few different starter relays, and I recently redid all of my main wires coming up to my battery and my relay. I still though, have had relays blow. The bike has a hard chug where it just tries to push over but takes a good minute before it spits and when it does it won't actually fire just turn over. This is doing so with a screw driver crossing the main posts on the relay (since mine is currently bad, I know this due to it clicking). Now that being said, I wondered if it was a low battery. I tested, came back 12.1V (sounds like it's still good?) I try crossing the posts and watch it drop to 9 volts. BUT I hooked a booster up to the battery (which died instantly; it only holds enough charge for one turn over then the battery goes on it, booster is bad) and it fired right up after crossing the relay posts! I didn't choke or hit the throttle to let it run, instead I let it turn off and I tried again. Noticing the booster was dead, it went back to a hard heavy chug while the screw driver just melts to the post then bam tries to spark and fire but doesn't and sparks fly. I don't know what else could be my issue. I have the starter clutch exposed now because I got curious and wanted to see if maybe one of the gears in there is bad and isn't catching or something, so here are a few pictures of that as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also incase this is related noticed something last year about my killswitch being finnicky and it sometimes has to be moved back and forth a few times before it turns from on to off, also once I have had the bikes killswitch engage while riding but the actual red switch hadn't moved and I had to turn it back and forth before it caught and turned off so I could turn the bike back on. THANK [email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected]

·
Master of the Electron
15,442 Posts
It's NOT starter clutch or any of the gears - carefully put it all back together.

Measure voltage at terminal on starter while starting - lower than 9?.

Measure voltage between batt minus and engine case while starting. Anything greater than 1?

You can't perform valid tests with failing test equipment... Jumper to a good auto battery... what happens now?

Last ditch - Check cam timing, check decomp mechanism.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's NOT starter clutch or any of the gears - carefully put it all back together.

Measure voltage between batt minus and engine case while starting. Anything greater than 1?

You can't perform valid tests with failing test equipment... Jumper to a good auto battery... what happens now?

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I went to put my side casing back together and fudged the gasket up so in the mean time I was just snooping around and found tape on a wire in the harness from the CDI box and wondered why it was taped went to rip it off and the whole wire came “undone” as if someone had just twisted it together? Could this have been my problem ??

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This was the yellow wire from the cdi box going to the plug that clips into the solenoid

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Master of the Electron
15,442 Posts
Yellow/black wire is power from CDI to solenoid... with it broken starter will not turn with start button push.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yellow/black wire is power from CDI to solenoid... with it broken starter will not turn with start button push.
Do you think that is what was giving me my electrical issues causing the chug when trying to start and blowing my relays?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m still waiting on my gasket to be in tomorrow before I can put my bike together and see for myself

·
Master of the Electron
15,442 Posts
Do you think that is what was giving me my electrical issues causing the chug when trying to start and blowing my relays?
No but check for other damaged wires.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No but check for other damaged wires.
So far I can't find any other broken wires, I changed all my wires from my starter to my relay and from my engine case to my battery and battery to relay. Reason was awhile back I think I put 4 gauge wire instead of 6, so I redid them to 6 gauge. Can't find any other broken wires, but haven't been able to perform a voltage check while starting as you have asked. Would that indicate bad starter/be the reason it has such a hard time ? Like if it were lower than 9

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also I got the battery load tested today and it was reading perfectly fine according to Canadian Tire.

·
Master of the Electron
15,442 Posts
What, exactly, is your issue now? Be very detailed and only use one post to continue.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What, exactly, is your issue now? Be very detailed and only use one post to continue.
I got the bike fired up and running off one or two pushes on the start button and then went to hit the accelerator and lost all power my key does nothing now

·
Master of the Electron
15,442 Posts
So you need to find where 12V has been lost... fuse blown?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts