Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm here because I'm completely lost for ideas. Please help. I have a Raptor 250 that with a full battery, would crank hard, like barely crank. I have replaced the starter, one way clutch (one way bearing behind flywheel), battery, starter solenoid, and the shaft on the starter gear because it was broke. After doing all that, same thing. No difference. I thought for sure it was the one way bearing that was causing the issues, because the old one was not moving. Also, to add to my issues, the starter button is not working, so the only way I can get it to crank over is to jump the solenoid, which then like I say, it barely cranks. Battery is brand new, fully charged. Is there a decompression pin on the crankshaft? If so, could that be broke, making it turn over hard? Could I have fried my starter switch by trying to crank it for so long?

·
Super Moderator
7,795 Posts
What are the events that lead to this issue? Was it running before? We just need a little history to help is all, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has and still does run great. The battery went dead and my son has always been able to push it down our driveway and pop start it with no problems, but now that im trying to sell it, i need it to start without having to pop start it. Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I replaced the positive wire, running from the battery to the solenoid. I have checked that all terminals are clean and tight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pulled the starter gear inspection port, removed the intermediate gear and I can turn the starter gear by hand. It rotates clockwise freely.

·
Super Moderator
7,795 Posts
What about the wiring from the push button on the handlebars to the battery, how are those looking? That might be something to replace on the cheap if something is the issue within.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good idea. Ill try to find a schematic to identify the wires to check and then do a continuity test. Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One important thing I forgot to mention (which might rule out the wiring from the starter push button on the handlebars) is that when I bypass the starter solenoid by taking the positive from the battery and going directly to the starter wire, it still turns over very hard.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Moto/atv batteries are not always good just because they are new. What voltage does the battery read? Does it drop voltage when you crank it over? Have you tried to jump it from a car? After that i guess id check the valve clearance

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts