Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the Raptor experts

About a month ago I rode my 02 660 to my county fair. When I went to go home it wouldn't start. The engine would turn over but it wouldn't fire. So I tried the old fashion bump start and still nothing. So I pulled the spark plug out to see if it was wet and to a surprise it wasn't. Then I went to look if the spark plug was bad so I pushed the starter and nothing until I let off and then there was a spark.

What could be the issue?

Please help

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Question for the Raptor experts

About a month ago I rode my 02 660 to my county fair. When I went to go home it wouldn't start. The engine would turn over but it wouldn't fire. So I tried the old fashion bump start and still nothing. So I pulled the spark plug out to see if it was wet and to a surprise it wasn't. Then I went to look if the spark plug was bad so I pushed the starter and nothing until I let off and then there was a spark.

What could be the issue?

Please help

Unhook the voltage regulator and with it unhooked, try to start the engine, if it starts, you have stator problems...........

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
THis is typical of a short in the stator - you can verify by unplugging the regulator as Willy suggested. If normal spark returns, this is proof of a short between stator windings.

However, if you do prove this, you still have one more chance - cut the red wire that comes from the stator - out of the left side case - that leads to the wiring harness... this circuit is not necessary for the Raptor and is often the one that's shorted. If cutting this wire allows you to reconnect the regulator and still have spark, you are good to go. If not, the stator will require replacement.

Please let us know your results!

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
You were supposed to unplug the regulator, not the stator.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did unplug the regulator, checked the coil, and tried a new plug, still no spark until I let off the starter switch.

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
I did unplug the regulator, checked the coil, and tried a new plug, still no spark until I let off the starter switch.
Sorry, you wrote stator (before your edit to regulator), so I took you at your word.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats fine Maniac, and I thought that if there is any volts going through the coil that would mean it was good

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
That's fine Maniac, and I thought that if there is any volts going through the coil that would mean it was good
But how did you determine this, you need an oscilloscope to properly measure the voltage that goes to the coil at the orange wire, and an ohmmeter to measure the resistance in the coil to determine if the coil is good...........

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well that means that the coil may be bad, but if it is would there be a spark when you would let off the start switch

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Well that means that the coil may be bad, but if it is would there be a spark when you would let off the start switch
Anything is possible with electrics, you see the oddest stuff............
Your spark after you release the switch suggests a stator problem, this I have heard of before. Using a voltmeter to test for voltage at the orange wire only gives you in the range of 3 to 5 volts, when it actually is over 100 volts, with an oscilliscope, you can watch the wave pattern........

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When I went and talked to the local yamaha shop mechanic and he said that he sees this a lot and he said that with that spark when I let off the starter that would be either the stator or the cdi

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
When I went and talked to the local yamaha shop mechanic and he said that he sees this a lot and he said that with that spark when I let off the starter that would be either the stator or the cdi
CDIs seldom cause problems but stators cause lots..............
Do a search on this forum and you will see...................

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the imformation willy and I hope it will help others that encounter this problem

1 - 20 of 26 Posts