Raptor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I'm having some problems with getting my quad to run. I rode it back in May and soon after that the battery went dead. Thanks to a busy work schedule I just got around to getting a new battery about a week ago. I went to start it and all it wanted to do was turn over. The starter rolls and I can hear the compression but it never catches. I thought maybe the carbs needed cleaned so I got them off and cleaned them out real good and changed the gas. The bike did start for about 1~2 seconds after reassembly but I think it was just burning out the carb cleaner vapors. I've since looked at the plug and I can't even see a visible spark. The gap is right. I don't know if something is bad or there just might be a short somewhere. I don't have a service manual so I'm not sure what the likely culprit might be or how to find it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update on the previous post:
Checked all the electrical connections that I can see with a multimeter and they all seem to be ok. Removed the Champion spark plug I had in and replaced it with my old NGK one. I can see the spark with the NGK. It still seems to me as though it isn't getting any gas. Maybe there's something I don't know about the carb setup? :3question:

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Try a new sparkplug, they're only a few bucks. I have used champion in the past, but prefer ngk if they're availible.

Make sure that your spark plug boot is in all the way, I trouble shot a similar problem for a day before I realized it was the problem.

Also check your carb boots to make sure they're seated on the intake and carbs and don't have any cracks. They are notorious for causing such problems.

If you search around on this site you can find some links to the service manual. It's also availible on the sandwizards.com website.

You should also adjust your intake and exhaust valves, the intakes in particular tighten up with time causing very difficult starts.

Try bump/pull starting the bike and see how it runs or if it runs at all, that'll help you narrow it down.

·
Registered
259 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts