Raptor Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Master of the Electron
15,868 Posts
Sorry - I just gave two OEM carb sets away to forum members a couple of months ago... you could have used them. Yes, you definitely want to avoid the Chinese copies if you can! They seem to have such poor quality control that every carb is different and most just won't tune well. However, you can always steal parts from them to make an OEM carb set like new - just don't use their jets!!!

Reactions: SnowCamo

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Cool thank you for the input. I have a new dj kit that’s a stage 3 I will put in it. Thanks again. I am learning a lot that what I wanted to do. I do appreciate everyone’s help whether I followed or didn’t. I just new I could return the cdi box.

·
Master of the Electron
15,868 Posts
Hey, let's just get you up and running!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mine has Chinese carbs but I replaced all the brass parts with mikuni or dynojet and it runs great. Don’t forget to swap the bushings that the needle passes through as that is vital to engine performance at anything off idle.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Bought oem carbs cleaned them up but the china one looked better. Thoroughly cleaned and installed jets. Starts up and runs great. I think it was my reverse and carbs bc when I turned key the reverse never lit up and then turns off now it does.

·
Master of the Electron
15,868 Posts
The light has nothing to do with it. TEMP light is supposed to light up when pressing start button not Reverse.

So which carbs ARE you running now?

·
Master of the Electron
15,868 Posts
Reverse light blinks if idle speed is too high.

Over Temp light illuminates while pressing start button (as a bulb check).

Good idea using the new Chinese castings with the original, newly cleaned jets. Most of the problems with the eBay carbs are jet related, I believe. You may have found a decent compromise.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
The next thing I noticed when adjusting idle speed I will adjust to good idle but when I give it gas it will idle high. Why does it do that?
If it revs and then idles high, then slowly returns to normal idle, usually indicates an air leak.
Check the carb boots to head, carb boots to carbs, and airbox to carb to make sure it all seals correctly.
Carburetor boots are notorious for cracks and splits with age on the 660.
You can spray carb cleaner on the outside of those areas with the engine running, to help find any leaks that may be there.

·
Master of the Electron
15,868 Posts
Slow return to idle is an indication of being too lean - a small vacuum leak can cause this OR it may just need the fuel screws turned out CCW a quarter turn or so.

Spraying carb cleaner as Six says will tell you what to do - if idle speed changes when spraying you have a leak. Else adjust the screws.

Reactions: Sixpack577
41 - 57 of 57 Posts