Raptor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have and 03 raptor 660 and since ive bought it when the bike is running it hardly keeps the battery charged the more i drive it it slowly draws down the battery more and more it will last a while but if i turn the head lights on or the fan it will last maybe an hour of riding and then the battery is so dead the wheeler wont even stay running. Im wondering if my stator is going or my CDI or maybe just a bad connection somewhere wut do you think is most likely the problem??? Thanx

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I have and 03 raptor 660 and since Ive bought it when the bike is running it hardly keeps the battery charged the more i drive it it slowly draws down the battery more and more it will last a while but if i turn the head lights on or the fan it will last maybe an hour of riding and then the battery is so dead the wheeler wont even stay running. Im wondering if my stator is going or my CDI or maybe just a bad connection somewhere wut do you think is most likely the problem??? Thanks
Check the output of the charging system while the engine is running well above an idle at the battery posts, it should read at least 13.6 volts, if it doesnt then check the output of the stator by removing the plugin at the stator and recheck the AC voltage, it should be anywhere above 14 volts and as high as 30, if not. most likely your stator is defective but if the voltage is well over 14 volts AC, then recheck the stator while pluged in to the rectifer regulator and see if it still is well above the 14 volts AC, if it still is high and the voltage is not above 14 voltss DC at the battery, then this pretty well guarantees the rectifier is the problem..............

·
Master of the Electron
15,070 Posts
Not CDI - as Willy says it's stator or rec/reg.

If measuring AC voltage across all pair combinations of the three white stator wires (unplug from rectifier) sees less than 20V when well above idle, and they're not all about the same, it's stator. If this is good, check again when plugged back into rec/reg, should be just a bit lower... if good, and you don't see at least 13.5VDC at the the red wire from the rec/reg AND at the battery - it's rec/reg.

Which, is just about what Willy said... why did I retype the whole thing? Bored, I guess.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts