Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*sigh* if it's not one thing it's another... I did the airbox delete "mod" with the twin K&N's, rebuilt carbs, jetted and piloted. Set float levels a little higher, ended up leaking a bit of fuel from the overflows, AND, had a petcock issue where it wouldn't shut off... long story short, shut the quad down, let it sit about a month, went to fire it, gas poured out of the crankcase vent, it then occurred my crankcase was full of gas. Rebuilt the petcock, drained oil tank and crankcase today (talk about fuel!), and new filter and Rotella T6 oil. Fired it, seemed to run fine, shut it down, pulled it into the driveway and I couldn't keep it running, would just cut out like I was running out of gas. Pulled the fuel line to the carb and gas poured out, shut fuel off, it shut off... reattached, turned fuel on, and couldn't get it started again... pulled the plug, checked for spark, nothing. Tried another plug, still nothing. Disconnected reg/rectifier back by coolant tank, and it fired and ran great. Just confirming stator, because it sure sounds like it from the posts I found when searching.

Keep in mind, I'm a noobie, I picked this thing up after selling my KX500 and am still learning, but would rather gather info before wasting money and time.

Thanks guys!!!

Tony

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
I suspect the gas in the oil sump softened the enamel on the stator wires, allowing two windings to short together.... Instead of a new stator, try cutting the red and white/blue wires coming from the stator - see if spark comes back while rec/reg is plugged in. If so, ride, man, ride!

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I suspect the gas in the oil sump softened the enamel on the stator wires, allowing two windings to short together.... Instead of a new stator, try cutting the red and white/blue wires coming from the stator - see if spark comes back while rec/reg is plugged in. If so, ride, man, ride!
Was hoping you'd respond! You're the reason I did the oil change with the Rotella T6 5-40 today! =) So, pull the cover, chop the wires and splice or something? I'm not really sure what those wires really do.

EDIT - I also plugged the rec/reg back in, unplugged the white fat plug to the stator up above the starter. It'd run until I plugged it in.

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
The two wires I mentioned lead out of the case to the first connector in the harness - just cut the red first and see what happens, then, if you still have no spark (with all other wires connected), cut the white/blue too. These wires are from the rotation direction winding and (at least as far as I can tell) don't do anything significant on the rappy... I suspect they did on kick start versions by preventing the engine from running backwards. Many aftermarket stators for the Rappy don't even have these wires...

Anyway, several people have said that when the 'unplug the regulator to get spark back' problem occurred, cutting one or both of these wires did the trick... so try it, and let us know the results, okay?

BTW, the short in the stator is between the wires I want you to cut and one of the whites - which is why unplugging the regulator (or the three whites) allows spark to come back... cutting the red and /or white blue removes the short from the other side, supposedly.

We'll wait to hear your results!

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're a lifesaver... woke up this morning, man on a mission with a set of cutters. Chopped the red one, and bam... starts no problem. Battery is charging @ 14v with the rec/reg plugged in! That's awesome man, what a cool trick. Didn't have to touch the white/blue wire, just red to get it running again.

Thanks again, where's the "thanks" button?!

Tony

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
GREAT! Glad it worked, and glad we now have confirmation that this trick is a viable solution to a common problem.

I've now added this as a possible solution in my sticky: "Most Common Problems with the Raptor 660 Explained", giving you credit for your succesfull tests. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, I appreciate that! Easy fix! Hell of a recommendation/solution! You deserve the credit! Thanks again! Just went riding with my 4 year old this morning (just got his 50cc quad going)! You made my Sunday!

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Just glad I could help and you are now having fun with your son - that's what it's all about!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts