Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did this vid the other day & thought I would share it. I dont know if it will work on all stators but it brought this one back to life.

·
Master of the Electron
14,516 Posts
Thanks for the video - just proves what I've already done, posted and put in the 'most common problems' sticky.

·
Master of the Electron
14,516 Posts
Mind if I add a link in the sticky to your video?

·
Master of the Electron
14,516 Posts
Thanks, I will do so.

You know, it's kind of funny... last month I was out with friends and I was at camp while my buddy was out riding my Raptor with his family on some other of my quads. He called me (luckily, Superstition Mountain has good cell service) and said the Raptor had died so I jumped on another quad and went to where he said he was - sure enough, no spark! LOL, after all the times I've told people here on the forum how to unplug the rec/reg to get spark back, and it finally happened to me!

So,anyway, he sees that I have no spark... I turn away and unplug the rec/reg and VOILA, spark returns - he thought it was magic and I was some kind of god, lol... I did explain it to him and, unfortunately, I returned to mere mortal status.

So, when I got the Raptor back to camp, first thing I did was cut the red wire (actually, I pulled the red wire's pin out of the connector - cutting a wire just hurts) and I've been riding like that ever since.

You just can't beat this forum for the great things you learn and the great people involved!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I will do so.

You know, it's kind of funny... last month I was out with friends and I was at camp while my buddy was out riding my Raptor with his family on some other of my quads. He called me (luckily, Superstition Mountain has good cell service) and said the Raptor had died so I jumped on another and went to where he said he was - sure enough, no spark! LOL, after all the times I've told people here on the forum how to unplug the rec/reg to get spark back, and it finally happened to me!

So,anyway, he sees that I have no spark... I turn away and unplug the rec/reg and VOILA, spark returns - he thought it was magic and I was some kind of god, lol... I did explain it to him and, unfortunately, I returned to mere mortal status.

So, when I got the Raptor back to camp, first thing I did was cut the red wire and I've been riding like that ever since.
Great story QuadManiac...even for a mere mortal..:).. I did this to my bike a while back ( With your advice....Back to your God like electrical status,;)...LOL ) but I had no documentation of it..This was my chance to do a quick vid of the prosses....

·
Master of the Electron
14,516 Posts
Okay, I added a link to your video to my 'Most Common Problems' sticky.

I also added a bit to my desert story post, above, so you might want to revisit - reference to the great people here in the forum includes YOU, sir.

·
Registered
172 Posts
What causes this?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, I added a link to your video to my 'Most Common Problems' sticky.

I also added a bit to my desert story post, above, so you might want to revisit - reference to the great people here in the forum includes YOU, sir.
Thanks buddy....I love RF..I have learned so much from this site & the great people involved...;)

·
Master of the Electron
14,516 Posts
What causes this?
There are several windings on the stator. They are made of copper wire coated with enamel to insulate the wire where it makes contact with itself, other wires and the housing. Over time, if a vibration causes the enamel to chafe between two wires, they will short together.

One of the most common shorts that occurs is between one of the battery charge windings and the rotation direction winding. When this happens, the low resistance in the rectifier/regulator pulls down the direction winding (through the short to the charge winding) and causes the CDI to stop generating spark pulses.

THe red wire (from the rotation/direction winding) was (I believe) there for another version of this engine - a bike with kick start - to make the CDI NOT generate spark if it detects the engine trying to run backwards (from a backfire while kick starting)... this, when shorted, caused the problem. Since we don't need this feature with electric start (it's not going to start backwards), simply cutting the red wire eliminates the problem. If one proves that this is the issue (by unplugging the rec/reg and seeing that spark returns), then cutting the red wire will usually return spark.

Hope that explains it well enough?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Great explanation. Thanks for the tip boys!

·
Registered
112 Posts
i read in another forum that (possibly started by QM) that cutting this wire also gives you a bit more in the RPM range when in reverse.

is this also correct?

i did this just for that reason instead of grounding the reverse limiter so i still had function of my reverse light.

·
Master of the Electron
14,516 Posts
i read in another forum that (possibly started by QM) that cutting this wire also gives you a bit more in the RPM range when in reverse.
I have been told by at least one other that the reverse RPM limit doubled with this mod, but I'd sure love some confirmation. Since I have an 01 without the limiter, I can't test it.

Let us know what happens to your limiter from cutting the red, okay? With some confirmation, I'll post this info in my lose the reverse limiter sticky.

·
Registered
112 Posts
i did this befor the last time i rode, it did seem that i could get quite a bit more throttle when in reverse without it kicking in, i really didnt get stuck to bad this time being that it wasnt as muddy because the lack of rain, but the times i did use it it did seem to be alot better.

i will follow up with this again after my next ride

1 - 20 of 44 Posts