Raptor Forum banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Master of the Electron
15,978 Posts
Thanks, 02six - if you could connect, check the RPM limit, then disconnect and check again, that would be very cool! Maybe too much work... but I can ask, can't I? :D

·
Master of the Electron
15,978 Posts
Thanks! The knowledge gained for the entire forum will be worth the effort.

·
Registered
112 Posts
well i need to appologize quadmaniac, i have the quad torn apart to fix a few things and also the intention of re-connecting this wire to test out the results with the reverse, un fortunately i snipped the wire to close to the plug and it would be a major pain to reconnect with the little slack that this wire has. like i said tho when i cut it for the reason of getting a higher rpm while in reverse i was satisfied with the results, before i did this i was bogging down and stalling everytime i was backing up and then after i did not seem to have as much of an issue. seems to me it would be a no brainer for everyone to cut this wire anyways being that when cut it could possibly fix the no spark issue and then also the "unconfirmed" benifit of reverse rpm. at least then if you run into a no spark issue you would know to look elsewhere for the problem.

·
Master of the Electron
15,978 Posts
Okay, we'll take this as tacit confirmation that cutting the red wire DOES increase the reverse RPM limit. Thanks!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I’m having problem with my battery losing charge after so long of riding/starting, could this be a stator issue? I can start the bike, disconnect and remove the battery and wile motor is running, put a test light on the two cables and it is dim but does light up. Should it be putting out more amps then that? Or do I have something else draining the battery?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I’m having problem with my battery losing charge after so long of riding/starting, could this be a stator issue? I can start the bike, disconnect and remove the battery and wile motor is running, put a test light on the two cables and it is dim but does light up. Should it be putting out more amps then that? Or do I have something else draining the battery?
You should start your own thread on your problem.

·
Master of the Electron
15,978 Posts

Start a new thread and we'll be glad to help you.

Measure battery voltage with engine running well above idle and also when off, after bikes been sitting overnight. Report both of these in your new post.

·
Registered
73 Posts
ok will do, ill check the amps and start a new thread. my bad haha

·
Registered
73 Posts
i had another stator in the shop so i just tryed it and it took care of my not charging problem. thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi......my name is Brian and I own a 2001 Raptor 660....and I was riding as normal today and it just died all the sudden....so I checked for spark....and had none. So I immediately came here for searching for info and found out it may be a stator problem. I tried unplugging the rectifie/regulator and it immediately fired right up....while it was running I plugged the regulator back up and it died immediately. So now I'm reading here and see there may be a fix just by cutting/removing the red wire. Can I unplug the plug at theregulator and remove the wire out of the plug there? Or are you guys talking about cutting/removing the red wire at a different location? Also if this fixes it,will the bike function and charge as normal? Just figured this might be a quick and easy thing to try and not have to replace the stator right now. Just want to make sure if it does work it isn't gonna hurt anything riding this way.

Thanks!!! Brian

·
Master of the Electron
15,978 Posts
Brian, you should not hijack an existing thread, instead you should make your own new one (as has already been said above).

That said, I'll give you a short answer. The red wire is at a different location - follow the wires from the left side cover up to the frame - the red is in that bunch, along with the whites that go to the rectifier/regulator eventually. You need to disconnect this red wire, not the one that is at the rec/reg.

Once you cut or disconnect this wire you are good to go - this wire is not necessary in the quad version of this engine. It was used for a kick start motorcycle version.

·
Registered
12 Posts
First off.....sorry for hi-jacking the thread....I really didn't mean too,I just figured it would be better to ask it here since it was already being talked about.....again....I didn't intend to do that...

Thanks QuadManiac for the great answer....you have provided people with a lot of info here....and excellent info at that!! I'm going to give this red wire thing a try tommorow and see what happens....

I appreciate it...... Brian

·
Master of the Electron
15,978 Posts
Let us know your results - positive, we hope.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok.....results are in!!! We ran down the wires coming from the stator out of the side cover up the frame and under left side of seat. We unplugged the connector and removed the red wire from the plug using a small pick(so we didn't have to cut the wire)..and plugged it back up as normal with the exception of the red wire.....and it runs excellent now.....it was a COMPLETE fix without having to change out the stator...it took about 10 minutes..... Thank You guys for the great info and help.... .I really appreciate it...saved about 175 bucks also.....

Thanks Again..... Brian

·
Master of the Electron
15,978 Posts
Glad to be a help. I've used the same fix, in the desert with buddies - they thought I was crazy until cutting the wire WORKED! Now they think I'm a god, LOL.

Have fun riding! OH, another advantage of disconnecting the red wire(you may have already read this) is that the RPM limit in reverse is now higher - not as easy to bog down when in reverse.

·
Registered
584 Posts
not trying to hijack. but lets say you're in the woods and no cell phone, and no tools. quad shuts off due to no spark, and you unplug the rectifier and all spark returns. can you drive out of the woods to the trailer? basically, can you unplug the rectifier and drive it?
if so, is the rectifier on these quads JUST for charging? or do they serve any other purpose(s)?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
not trying to hijack. but lets say you're in the woods and no cell phone, and no tools. quad shuts off due to no spark, and you unplug the rectifier and all spark returns. can you drive out of the woods to the trailer? basically, can you unplug the rectifier and drive it?
if so, is the rectifier on these quads JUST for charging? or do they serve any other purpose(s)?
The regulator controls the output of the stator, (alternator). So if you run into a situation as you describe and unplug the regulator you will be driving on the power supplied by the battery only.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts