Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have been looking for quite a while now, and can not find a company that offers an upgraded stator for my 2011 raptor 700. I am also looking for one for my wifes 550 grizzly, but that will be for another forum. The reason here, is we like to ride at night, over some pretty crazy terrain, and we would like to mount additional lighting to our atvs. I do not want HID replacements for the factory location, I am dead set on adding additional lighting on the handle bars and one for a reverse light. I have looked at LED lights from various manufacturers, but they do not offer a cost effective solution, and even the more expensive options will still draw too much current to run in addition to the factory lights. I have checked electrosport, ricky stator, and lots of small time companies, but can find no one who offers a true high output stator for either of our bikes. Can anyone out there in rappy land offer some information?

Thanks,

Devon

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nuts....29 views and not a single post? I take it there really isn't anyone who makes high output stators for our bikes? Does anyone run additional lighting without issue? Even if I have to settle for an individual light to mount on the handle bars, it would be better than stock. The idea is that we want to be able to see better when turning. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Why not just remove the factory lighting and add the lights you want? Then you could have HID on the bars and have the best of both worlds.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I asked about this too cuz I want to run another set of hids and it seems no one makes em.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
Mass produced commercially available, no. Best bet IMO would be to have yours rewound (or do so yourself) with a bit more gusto than OEM.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I tried to post from my phone for some reason it didn't work. I run Alba 12" LED bar on my handle bars. It lights up the woods. I only use the stock lights when I don't want to blind oncomming traffc or when ridding in and out of camp so I don't piss people off. I have run both by accident. (can't really tell a difference when I have the stocks on or not) and haven't had a problem. The light bar only uses 68watts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why not just remove the factory lighting and add the lights you want? Then you could have HID on the bars and have the best of both worlds.
Well, Honestly I didn't even consider that option, because I was looking only for supplemental directional light, not the power of the sun...However...I suppose it is worth looking into, not sure I would like the way it looked without the factory lights in place though. I guess I could always leave them in place but disconnect them.

Mass produced commercially available, no. Best bet IMO would be to have yours rewound (or do so yourself) with a bit more gusto than OEM.
Well, suppose I wind them myself, or have my own rewound(I emailed ricky stator on Friday last week asking for a quote, no reply yet), I still need an upgraded rectifier to handle the extra current.

I tried to post from my phone for some reason it didn't work. I run Alba 12" LED bar on my handle bars. It lights up the woods. I only use the stock lights when I don't want to blind oncomming traffc or when ridding in and out of camp so I don't piss people off. I have run both by accident. (can't really tell a difference when I have the stocks on or not) and haven't had a problem. The light bar only uses 68watts.
I am not sure I would like the looks of a 12" bar, do you have any pics with it installed? Did you just use an aftermarket switch and relay for the light bar, and leave the factory harness alone or what?

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
Quadboss and I think MSR make aftermarket voltage regulators/rectifiers for the 700, but I'm not sure at what point they would be necessary or how much they can handle beyond stock loads.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well guys I got a response from Electrosport.

They do carry model ESG152 which will give 30% more output over stock. But he didn't tell me what the stock output was, so I asked him. Here is his response to that and asking if I could run an addition 55w lamp on my handle bars while still running the stock lights.
"Honestly I think your stock stator will be just fine. I try to avoid giving number values for the stators because its a bit more complicated then that. These stators have a curve for their power output that makes a number for the output difficult to use. Output from 3k to 4k has a sharp increase, for about 80% of the rpm band our unit is about 30% over stock, give or take a bit.

If I had to rate our stator, I would put it at 380watts, OEM @ ~300. Expect to have an additional 80-90 watts of power over stock at a solid RPM w/ our part.

So, I think I will get an HID conversion for the factory lamps, and if I need more light, I will add an HID lamp to the bars in some way, but that seems about all I can do on the stock stator.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts