Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
ive heard from several people that you can repack your muffler with steel wool and it actually makes it quieter and lasts longer. have any of you guys ever tried this? thoughts?
tdog

·
Registered
881 Posts
I don't know about this. Steel wool rusts pretty easily I don't know if it would last as long as fiberglass... I personally wouldn't try it and I'm a cheap ass.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I don't think you can repack a stock muffler. The aftermarket mufflers are repackable though. Fiberglass packing is cheap at like $20 max...

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think you can repack a stock muffler. The aftermarket mufflers are repackable though. Fiberglass packing is cheap at like $20 max...
i know you cant repack a stock muffler, my yoshi pipe needs repacking like every 10-15hrs of ride time and i was just wondering if i could make it at least 20.. thats all

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
i know you cant repack a stock muffler, my yoshi pipe needs repacking like every 10-15hrs of ride time and i was just wondering if i could make it at least 20.. thats all
I thought you wanted to repack a stock muffler my bad:lol: I would check your jetting because packing usually last awhile but when jetted wrong it seems to disappear sooner. I think steelwool would work just fine though. Get a courser wool and it would be good.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought you wanted to repack a stock muffler my bad:lol: I would check your jetting because packing usually last awhile but when jetted wrong it seems to disappear sooner. I think steelwool would work just fine though. Get a courser wool and it would be good.
Well, there might be a reason why it dissepears sooner, theres a patch job on the steel mesh on the inside..

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Very coarse stainless steel wool would work..........:)

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
366 Posts
Steel wool is highly flammable. It doesn't seem like a good idea to put it in your exhaust.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Steel wool is highly flammable. It doesn't seem like a good idea to put it in your exhaust.
This is true when it is burned in pure oxygen..............:)

Exhaust contains very little or no oxygen.............:)

·
Registered
212 Posts
A buddy of mine tried just steel wool in his ol warrior once.First time he took off down the road,the damn sparks started flyin out the back of the exhaust,it didn't actually start on fire,but got red hot,then just transfered to the rest of the wool,and looked like a glowing red ball of metal....LOL... made all of us watchin bust a gut I tell ya....LOL

I always use a thin layer of COARSE steel wool over the pipe first,then use the fiberglass packing over that....nice and tight...seems to last a full season...

·
Registered
881 Posts
If your only looking to prolong the time in between repacking your silencer. Why don't u wrap it with a header wrap leaving some of the mesh pipe exposed.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If your only looking to prolong the time in between repacking your silencer. Why don't u wrap it with a header wrap leaving some of the mesh pipe exposed.
i might try that this winter, sounds like it might work!

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
That and it won't insulate against heat. So the silenced body will be exposed to much higher temps.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I looked up how much it costs for coarse stainless steel wool and if it dosnt last at least twice as long as fiberglass there is no gain that i can see. it looks to be about thirty dollars to do one can. And for someone like me that has duals, were talking sixty bucks to repack. Has anyone actually tried this yet and have good numbers for how long it lasts???

·
Registered
92 Posts
my exaust is hand made and i used scrubber available in almost any store (home depot , wall mart , etc.. ) just like the energizer bunny IT WORK'S LOL :p

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Get the FMF pink spaghettii packing. It is long and stringy. String the whole package out on the garage floor. Then wrap it around the core.

I repacked a set of two bro's duals for a rhino 660. There was a lot of packing left in them. The core had a a wrap of screen around it. That way the holes were small and the packing could not blow out.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
I actually carry a handfull of steelwool with me when I'm riding in the dunes just in case the cops stop me for a decibal check. If I have the opportunity I'll take a fistfull of it and ram it down my pipes LOL It makes it nice and quiet for the check then when they leave I fish it outa there haha!

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
I actually carry a handfull of steelwool with me when I'm riding in the dunes just in case the cops stop me for a decibal check. If I have the opportunity I'll take a fistfull of it and ram it down my pipes LOL It makes it nice and quiet for the check then when they leave I fish it outa there haha!
You're filthy Carp! Lol!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts