Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just picked up a 01 660 raptor last night and only major problem is the steering. The handle bars dont move forward and backwards, but when you turn the handle bars right and left there is play. (u can turn them a bit before they will start to actually turn the wheels). Where should i start looking? im new to raptors... thanks

·
Git-R-Done
729 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! check the tie-rods and make sure there is no play.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! check the tie-rods and make sure there is no play.
+1 Tierods are most likely shot or loose at the steering stem. :wow:

·
Git-R-Done
729 Posts
Grab the tire and turn back and forth to see if there is any play.

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
Guaranteed (well almost :-} ) the pitmann arm is loose at the bottom of the steering stem.

There's a large nut, at the very bottom of the steering stem, that when loose lets the pitmann arm move around on the splines of the steering stem, causing slop in the steering. Just remove the safety retaining pin, tighten the nut as tight as you can, replace the pin and you'll be good to go.

Mine was this way when I first got it, used, and since tightening has never displayed the slop again (five years now).

BTW, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the "welcome" I will take a real good look for the first time tonight. u guys are pointing me in the right direction :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
big thanks everyone!! tighten the big nut at the bottom to 80 ft lbs and tightened up all the tie rod ends. NIce and tight and didn't cost me a dime! Fixed the brakes, parking brake, netural light too.. now just gotta fix leaky front shock and the carb that leaks a little..

·
Git-R-Done
729 Posts
Good to here you got it fixed.

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
Great! I love it when a plan comes together.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts