Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I noticed that when I have the handlebars in the straight position both steering tires point a little to the right. My question is how can I straighten them back up is there some type of nut that I can loosen on the steering stem just like in a bicycle. The last owner must of bumped the left tire in a curve or something and it must’ve knocked them out of spec. Thanks for the help if you have pictures to go along with your help or advise they will be of a great help?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Today I noticed that when I have the handlebars in the straight position both steering tires point a little to the right. My question is how can I straighten them back up is there some type of nut that I can loosen on the steering stem just like in a bicycle. The last owner must of bumped the left tire in a curve or something and it must’ve knocked them out of spec. Thanks for the help if you have pictures to go along with your help or advise they will be of a great help?
Did you download the factory service manual from this site yet? If not you should, if so great...All the info you seek is there, & some pic's...

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Shorten the left steering linkage and extend the right hand steering linkage equally....

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shorten the left steering linkage and extend the right hand steering linkage equally....
Your the best Willykiller. Thats the conclusion I came up with. Will give it a go tomorrow.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK I gave it a go and got them where I think they should but I still have a question. When setting the steering tires straight are they suppose to point a little to the inside or outside. Or are the front tires just suppose to point as straight a possible?

·
Master of the Electron
15,225 Posts
Measure front and back using a pair of straight edges horizontally along the tire at wheel center (a friend may be needed cuz at least 3 hands are necessary)... measure front and back spacing - set front to be about 1/4" to 1/2" less than rear - this is 1/8"-1/4" toe-in per side.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
yep. You can use 2 ratchet tie down straps going from the grab bar to the handle bars to hold them straight while doing adjustments.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
It all depends on driving style and terrain, sometimes you want a little toein and other times a little toeout. I have adjusted on the fly before to adjust to terrain and driving style........

·
Master of the Electron
15,225 Posts
I suspect on your race bikes you've done a few other suspension tweaks (that many of us don't have access to) too!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I suspect on your race bikes you've done a few other suspension tweaks (that many of us don't have access to) too!
The bike in my signature has stock appearing a arms, but they are from it, the caster and camber have been heavily modified............

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Willy and QuadManiac like always you guys are the best.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
The bike in my signature has stock appearing a arms, but they are from it, the caster and camber have been heavily modified............
I guess for your type of racing there are no surprises like "hey guys, today we will all run the track backwards!" -Right turns only folks!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts