Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the deal. I rolled my quad a few weeks ago while riding. It broke the tie rod. I replaced the whole side that broke, (tie rod with ends.) I also bent my steering stem slightly so i pulled that off as well and got it straightened back out. i slapped it all back together but i cant seem to get the tires straight again. Does anyone know a trick for this? The frame and a arms are good. Im just wondering if there is a specific length for the tie rods or what. Thanks. And i am new to the quading world but i did do a few searches on this but i couldn't find the answer i was looking for. So i apologize ahead of time if this is a typical "newbie" question.

·
Master of the Electron
15,065 Posts
The most common steering stem problem is twisted splines above the pitman arm. If you can't adjust the tie rods far enough to straighten up the bars with the wheels, this is most likely the problem.

The splines have a 'key', a spot where they've been peened a bit, to force the pitman arm to only fit in one orientation... you can file this key down so the pitman arm will fit in any orientation, and, if the twist in the stem was enough, move the pitman arm over one spline to correct for the twist. This works, but causes other minor issues - if not perfectly aligned to the next spline, (and even worse for you now, probably) the steering stop will allow tighter steering in one direction than the other - a nuisance, but better than having your bars not straight with the wheels.

The only real and complete solution is a new steering stem -$79 online.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just pulled the stem back out and all the splines look good. It seems like every time i get one tire straight the other one looks off a little bit to me. I think its the tie rods that i need to play with on the one side that is off when the bars are straight. Ill give it a shot tomorrow. Thanks a lot for the info though.

·
Master of the Electron
15,065 Posts
Well, yes, I missed it, I guess - you need to adjust the tie rods individually to set wheels parallel to each other, and then adjust the rods together, equally to set wheels straight with the bars - actually, with straight edges across both wheel centers horizontally, you want the front to be about 1/4" to 1/2" closer together than the rear - 1/8" to 1/4" toe-in.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
When setting toe in, lock the steering or handle bars straight using tie straps, then concentrate on one wheel first to get it parrallel with the rear wheels, then match the other side, then set your toe in or toe out depending on preference and your style of driving. I have used toe in and toe out depending on terrain and type of driving...........

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now to adjust the toe in/out i just adjust the tie rods? Or is there another way?

·
Master of the Electron
15,065 Posts
Tie rods are the only way to adjust all of it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks a lot guys. I will play with it some more tomorrow and see what i can get done. Ill let you know.

·
Master of the Electron
15,065 Posts
Shorten or lengthen both rods to get wheel parallel (or toed in or out as desired), ignoring bar position, then lengthen one and shorten the other equal numbers of turns to get the wheels parallel with the bars - this will maintain your toe adjustment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts