Raptor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I want to ask you how do you take off your steering steam seals from the lower bearing, I had tried with some screw drivers, but I couldnt make it, I dont want to just cut it and throw it out because I cant find a new seal replacement in my country for sale (yes its sound ridicuolus, but it is what it is) so I need to keep the stock seal in good shape. The bearing its worn out, it have some play in it so I already have the new bearing replacement and want to replace it.
Another question is how much millimeters have the lock nut for the bearing under the upper seal? its 30 or 32mm?
Any easy way to fix a small bend on the steering stem? I dont want to buy a new one, its in good shape it only has an small bend.
Thank you guys!

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
You need cups from a tubing bender to put around the stem, then put it in a hydraulic press, and time and paitience.
The new steering bearing will bottom out in the frame, and the new seal will also seat where it needs to in the frame.
Be careful to make sure you are driving the new bearing in straight.
There is a bearing driving tool, but you can use a deepwell socket(preferebly an impact socket) only that puts all the pressure on to the outside edge of the bearing race, vs completely across the bearing like the driver tool does.
The driver tool or socket is fine for the seal, just make sure it's straight too.
There is also a large hex nut on top of the bearing, under the seal.
It can come out easy, but is usually difficult without a strong impact gun, spray it with penatrating oil and let it soak. Heating it with a torch helps to get it to break free as well.
Clean the frame out well before installing the new bearing.
The nut needs torqued with a torque wrench as well, if you overtighten it, it will damage the bearing.
Too loose, and the bearing can move up and down under less pressure and/or space to move around in.
And, to get the old seal out undamged, you need a seal pulling tool.
It hooks under and allows you to pry them out, undamaged if you're careful.
If you can't get one, you can possibly make one by seeing the shape you need, or find a small prybar similiar in a shape.
Here's a picture, the safety glasses are for size reference.

20210110_220941.jpg

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much Sixpack577 for the detailed post. Fortunatelly I can found new seals and bearing and today I can get the upper seal off I made it just hitting it from bottom with a screw driver and a hammer. I didnt know the upper seal have a metallic framework and the rubber its all arround, that knowledge should save me a lot of time. Tomorrow I will need to take out the upper nut for the bearing, its so hard to take it out? I dont have impact driver and neither torch. How I can take off the bearing after I take out the upper nut? I never did this job before and cant find any help on the web. (the lower rubber seal its in great shape and I dont want to take it off, its necessary to take it out to be able to replace the bearing or not?)

Thank you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts