Raptor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys my bike have about 3000km on it. I have some radial play and also thrust play in my steering stem (pls watch the short video listed below).

That play is because of worn upper and/or lower bushings? or the steering stem is bad? I dont flip the quad, didn't crash it neither. I have Precision Elite Steering stabilizer and its set quite stiff since I ride on very rought and rocky terrain. I mention this because maybe it can make the bushings to worn faster or not? What should I replace? Its easy to do? never did it before. Thank you!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Yo check out the directions on in the manual on how to replace the stem. It’s really easy. Pull the tank and everything is wide open for you. The bushings need to be greased from time to time to keep them in good shape, although they will still last a long time without it.

It looks like you need to do a few things, but I’d start like this -
Pull the cotter pin out of the castle nut on the bottom of the stem. Throw a socket the nut and see if you can tighten it anymore. The manual specs some ridiculous high torque spec for it so check what to set your wrench to.
If that takes the lateral play out of it then great. If not, let us know.

Since the bars are clamped the the stem, and the stem is splined to the butterfly mount at the bottom, that doesn’t leave any chance for play. That means you need to look at your tie rods for play. There is an inner and an outer joint that can wear out and become loose. Only option is to replace them if they have become loose. You may also want to check how tight they are tightened down. They should be held in with castle nut and cotter pin to prevent them backing off, but double check to make sure the nuts aren’t just loose.
You can set the front of the atv on a jack stand and wiggle the front tires one at a time, taking care not to wiggle so much that you move your handlebars. Watch closely to see where all the movement is happening from. Could be one tire rod or it could be both. Could also be a wheel bearing but that is less likely.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yo check out the directions on in the manual on how to replace the stem. It’s really easy. Pull the tank and everything is wide open for you. The bushings need to be greased from time to time to keep them in good shape, although they will still last a long time without it.

It looks like you need to do a few things, but I’d start like this -
Pull the cotter pin out of the castle nut on the bottom of the stem. Throw a socket the nut and see if you can tighten it anymore. The manual specs some ridiculous high torque spec for it so check what to set your wrench to.
If that takes the lateral play out of it then great. If not, let us know.

Since the bars are clamped the the stem, and the stem is splined to the butterfly mount at the bottom, that doesn’t leave any chance for play. That means you need to look at your tie rods for play. There is an inner and an outer joint that can wear out and become loose. Only option is to replace them if they have become loose. You may also want to check how tight they are tightened down. They should be held in with castle nut and cotter pin to prevent them backing off, but double check to make sure the nuts aren’t just loose.
You can set the front of the atv on a jack stand and wiggle the front tires one at a time, taking care not to wiggle so much that you move your handlebars. Watch closely to see where all the movement is happening from. Could be one tire rod or it could be both. Could also be a wheel bearing but that is less likely.
Thank you for your reply, I just read the manual and it dont looks difficult but It said I need an special tool to take off the steering stem lower bearing called "30mm hex tool" (K&L part No. 35-8576), I dont have that tool and never changed a bearing stem in my life, any other way to take off the bearing without that special tool?

The castle nuts are all tight, I put New +2 A-Arms and YFZ450R rebuild by Jogaca shocks not much time ago, so all suspension and shocks are like brand new, they have no play at all. I take out the cotter pin of the steam castle nut and I tried to tight it but it was not possible by hand it's crazy tight. I spray some WD-40 from time to time in the upper steering bushing mount (the mount under the fuel tank) that upper mount have some play too, its normal or not?

So, it looks like the bushing or bearings are worn, the steam moves solid with the pitman arm and nothing is loose, so what you think guys?

·
Registered
914 Posts
I’m not sure about changing the lower bushing itself, maybe someone can chime in on that. If I was looking for a cheap fix to mitigate the up/down movement I would find a thin washer and add it under the castle nut. Even a thin gauge of sheet metal cut to the right size would help take the play out of the stem. Of course add all this between the factory washer and nut.

As for the side to side moment, I would make darn sure it’s really the lower steering stem bushing that’s loose before I tried to pull it. In your video it doesn’t look like it’s that loose, but it’s hard to tell. You are 100% sure it’s not your tie rods?

FYI wd40 is about the worst thing you could put in those bushings!! We displaces grease and water and all that good stuff you want in there. So you effectively degreased your bushings prematurely.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts