Raptor Forum banner

What length stem do you run with your fatbars?

• +2" '06-'09 YFZ450 (same as +3" '04-'05 YFZ, or +1" Raptor 700)

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • +3" '06-'09 YFZ450 (same as +4" '04-'05 YFZ, or +2" Raptor 700)

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • +1" '06-'09 YFZ450 (same as +2" '04-'05 YFZ, or stock Raptor 700)

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I run bar risers/adaptors on my stock stem.

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm just curious, what length anti-stem are most of you guys running with fatbars?

I accidently bought a plus 1 for the 06-09 YFZ450 (same as +2 for 04-05 YFZ, same as stock raptor 700), but the "anti vibe" mount tubes hit my tank/tank cover.

*Do you guys run a +2 for '06-09 YFZ450 (+3 04-05 YFZ, or +1 Raptor 700), or a +3 (+4, +2)

I'm going to make this a poll, (if I'm allowed?? LOL). I tried adding colors to the post so it's not so confuzzling to follow the lengths/cross-stems.

I have Low bend ATV fatbars. Pics of your stem/bars are welcomed, too ;)

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I ran a Houser +1 I think it was in black with a Houser bar clamp and Pro Taper fat bars in CR high bend....keep in mind I'm 6'8" so this setup may be a little on the tall side for some of you..

here is some side shots so you can see how much higher this setup is..

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^
+1" for a raptor?? Ah this could be confusing, with three different lengths ('04-05, '06-'09 YFZ, and raptor 700) that could be the same lol

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
^^
+1" for a raptor?? Ah this could be confusing, with three different lengths ('04-05, '06-'09 YFZ, and raptor 700) that could be the same lol
let me double check on the height

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
The Houser site is showing a +1.25 for my year Raptor, their site is kinda confusing.... :eek:

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
It has been my experience that a "stock length" aftermarket steering stem with antivibe clamp will be, on average 1.5 to 1.75" longer from the bottom tip to the top of the closed clamp.

It's my understanding that this is because the clamp itself is taller and not necessarily measured in the height of the stem.

However, aftermarket anti vibe clamps are typically wider and can stick out farther than the OEM setup, causing the clearance issues you are experiencing if sufficient length is not added to the stem itself. Unfortunately there is so much variation and I have seen a comparatively few different brands and types of stems that I can't offer much information beyond that.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It has been my experience that a "stock length" aftermarket steering stem with antivibe clamp will be, on average 1.5 to 1.75" longer from the bottom tip to the top of the closed clamp.

It's my understanding that this is because the clamp itself is taller and not necessarily measured in the height of the stem.

However, aftermarket anti vibe clamps are typically wider and can stick out farther than the OEM setup, causing the clearance issues you are experiencing if sufficient length is not added to the stem itself. Unfortunately there is so much variation and I have seen a comparatively few different brands and types of stems that I can't offer much information beyond that.
Thanks for the info.
The guy I got my lonestar stem from (the one that was too short) didn't know what length (+"?") it was, so now I'm a bit stumped if that even was a +1 '06-'09 YFZ stem. I'm now COMPLETELY lost on what I need. Hopefully one of you guys can steer me in the right direction with what I need!! (Please?)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
stock YFZ stems are 1.5 inches lower than the stock raptor. so a +1.5 would only get you what you already are sittin at if you buy YFZ
Stock off what year YFZ?? Everywhere I've seen, '04-'05 is 2" shorter, '06-'09 is 1" shorter than a stock raptor

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
I haven't seen any clamp clearance issues with the +1.25 houser stems.

My guess is you'll want to look for a +1 or +2 (over the raptor) stem. The cross reference is useful if you're buying used or from a vendor that doesn't list 700 length comparisons but if you're just looking to buy a new one it can be confusing. I would stick to the 700 comparison lengths.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't seen any clamp clearance issues with the +1.25 houser stems.

My guess is you'll want to look for a +1 or +2 (over the raptor) stem. The cross reference is useful if you're buying used or from a vendor that doesn't list 700 length comparisons but if you're just looking to buy a new one it can be confusing. I would stick to the 700 comparison lengths.
..+1.25 raptor stem?? S#it this thread is getting confusing haha. The deal was, I didn't want to really buy a new one. I hate stock raptor bars, so instead of buying fatbars/adaptors, I bought fatbars/used Lonestar stem. I cannot find any descent used raptor stems AT ALL, or +2 450 stems, and no one replied to my wanted ads so I'm considering just going adaptors even though I completely hate the idea.

·
Modding Maniac
3,052 Posts
I love my +2 with my low bars. I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I love my +2 with my low bars. I couldn't be happier.
I'm guessing you guys are all referring to raptor reference lengths, and not crossing between yfz450/raptor lengths???

FamilyGuy do you mind posting up a pic please? If you have one available..if not, no biggie

·
Modding Maniac
3,052 Posts
I'm guessing you guys are all referring to raptor reference lengths, and not crossing between yfz450/raptor lengths???

FamilyGuy do you mind posting up a pic please? If you have one available..if not, no biggie
Here ya go bro. Its a +2 LSR Raptor Stem with a CR HI Pro Taper Bar.

Magnesium EVO Bars

Platinum Grey Contour Bars

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here ya go bro. Its a +2 LSR Raptor Stem with a CR HI Pro Taper Bar.
WOW your raptor is absolutely beautiful. That's the exact setup I'm wanting (entire fourwheeler) lol.
You think a +1 or +1.5" raptor stem would fit without hitting the tank topper?

·
Modding Maniac
3,052 Posts
WOW your raptor is absolutely beautiful. That's the exact setup I'm wanting (entire fourwheeler) lol.
You think a +1 or +1.5" raptor stem would fit without hitting the tank topper?
Thank bro. I still have a ways to go. I have a list that I am working on that I will slowly acquire. My bars are bugging me on which ones to stick with. Now I am thinking black. :D

·
VIP
1,019 Posts
I have a Houser +1 stem that was on my 660, transplanted on my 700 with a set of Renthal Fatbars. No issues at all with tank clearance and still uses the stock cables.

The best part is, I bought the stem with the bar clamp for only $235 on Ebay and everywhere else it was over $400.:D

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a Houser +1 stem that was on my 660, transplanted on my 700 with a set of Renthal Fatbars.
What else other than the stem needs to be changed (if anything at all) for a 660 stem to work on a 700?? Or what is the difference?

·
VIP
1,019 Posts
The only difference is the location of the upper stem mount on both machines. The 700 mount is higher up than the 660 mount, so I just had to scrape the powder coat off of the stem where the stem needs to pivot in the upper plastic mount.

I measured my stock 660 stem from where it contacts the lower bearing in the frame to the center of the handlebar mount and compared to a stock 700 stem measured the same way, it was less than 3/8" shorter.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts