Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i flipped my raptor 350 over today :banghead: my left tire hit this huge stump and it bent the pitman at the end of the steering stem is bent, i aligned the tire but the pitman is still bent. can i still ride it like that and jump ect. and is the pitman changeable or do i have to change the hole steering stem??? :3question:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Stem is all welded on both ends so the entire thing would have to be replaced. They are on E-Bay and you may be lucky enough that some of the later Warrior ones may fit as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i also just recently bent mine right after the handle bar mount, after looking at it is there any reason i couldnt just have another one fabed up?

Basically i was thinking just cut the handle bar mount off and cut right above the pitman and having both piece welded back on to a new bar(stem). Maybe theres more to it and im leaving something out if so please fill me in. If possible i would also like to get a little rise out of it over stock also. Any feed back is gratefully appreciated, also all the cutting and welding would be professionally done so no hack job or poor welds.

thanks guys,
chris

·
Registered
893 Posts
I repaired mine doing just what you described. It is kind of tricky, though as welding heat tweaks the tube and it will still have a little run out. Mine was bent right at the top mount. I cut the tube below the mount. I got a heavy wall tube that had the right outside diameter and cut it so the length would end up the same as it originally was. I machined the top so the handle bar mount would press on. I machined a step on the other end so it would slip inside the original tube. I then pressed the handle bar mount on then slid the assembly into the original tube. I laid it on the bench and made sure the bar mount was square with the tie rod mounts. I then welded around the seam where the two met and welded the bar mount in place. When all was done, it had around .005" run out which to me is plenty acceptable. It is now my spare.

·
Registered
61 Posts
awesome thanks for the reply that gives me a ton of insight on what to get done and how. Now all i gotta do is get the old one off. I may still try and pick up a good/used oem one but maybe i can round me up a spare out of the old one like you have. I literary bent it less than an hour into riding on a 4hr travel round trip so a back up would be nice.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I posted these on YFM350.com, but here are a few of my repair:

You can see a little of the weld seam in this one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts