Raptor Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I can’t find my picture of the bent stock stem, that was from the same crash. I replaced it with the alba stem. I spent about two weeks debating the same as you in the end figured I’d rather replace another $160 stem rather than a tweaked frame.
Okay so if you got the Alba Stem have you had any problems what’s so ever ? Cause the guy up there is saying the the Alba stem bends or twist the splines. How likely is that to happen how long have you been using yours?

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,054 Posts
Alright I don’t plan on having any accidents but you never know what could happen. I would buy the stem of you but I want a black stem the one you have is like chromed. If it’s true what you say I would go with the housers.
LOL, I too, wanted a black stem. So, I bought some HD heat shrink tubing to put on it to cover the chrome. I never put it on before I removed the stem to sell the bike. I can include it with the stem. It would need cut to fit with scissors or knife.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
LOL, I too, wanted a black stem. So, I bought some HD heat shrink tubing to put on it to cover the chrome. I never put it on before I removed the stem to sell the bike. I can include it with the stem. It would need cut to fit with scissors or knife.
Lol that’s to much work for me I’d rather buy it black and just install it. But I’ll see which one I end up getting I haven’t really read a bad review from the Alba. The guy up in the thread said he’s been using the Alba. My thing is that I have not bent or messed up the OEM stem till this day so why would I do it with the Alba ?

·
11,054 Posts
The Alba stems bend or twist the splines at the bottom from the slightest accident or maybe hitting a curb. Read their warranty,, basically it says there is none.
Okay so if you got the Alba Stem have you had any problems what’s so ever ? Cause the guy up there is saying the the Alba stem bends or twist the splines. How likely is that to happen how long have you been using yours?
No, not all Alba stems are bent or twisted. But in even a minor accident, has a bigger tendency to bend, break, or twist the lower priced stems then ones of better quality.

I think street riding is more dangerous then off road. Off road, if a tree jumps in front of me, that's my fault. On the street, if a car jumps in front of me, I want to be confident I can steer away from it without twisting or breaking something.

But, I guess 2 minutes to cut and shrink tubing is a lot.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
No, not all Alba stems are bent or twisted. But in even a minor accident, has a bigger tendency to bend, break, or twist the lower priced stems then ones of better quality.

I think street riding is more dangerous then off road. Off road, if a tree jumps in front of me, that's my fault. On the street, if a car jumps in front of me, I want to be confident I can steer away from it without twisting or breaking something.

But, I guess 2 minutes to cut and shrink tubing is a lot.
Then I guess I will have to go with the Houser Stem.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don’t have any complaints, but as I was sorta eluding to in my previous comment I’d rather buy a new stem then replace my frame or the expensive stuff. Now for me, i know I beat the tar out of things so knowing this there will be parts I will have to replace along the way. Not sure who it is but someone has the signature “if you don’t wreck, you don’t ride” pretty much as much the truth as I can see. Nothing is bullet proof and things will eventually break, base it off of how hard you will ride and your willingness to put more money into it when (not if) something fails.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Lol that’s to much work for me I’d rather buy it black and just install it. But I’ll see which one I end up getting I haven’t really read a bad review from the Alba. The guy up in the thread said he’s been using the Alba. My thing is that I have not bent or messed up the OEM stem till this day so why would I do it with the Alba ?
Bottle of rattle can, or do it right with powder coat for like $40 tops depending on your area and it’s still a good deal over the houser

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I don’t have any complaints, but as I was sorta eluding to in my previous comment I’d rather buy a new stem then replace my frame or the expensive stuff. Now for me, i know I beat the tar out of things so knowing this there will be parts I will have to replace along the way. Not sure who it is but someone has the signature “if you don’t wreck, you don’t ride” pretty much as much the truth as I can see. Nothing is bullet proof and things will eventually break, base it off of how hard you will ride and your willingness to put more money into it when (not if) something fails.
This is one of the best
This is the best reply I’ve had all day, yes nothing is indestructible and I am willing to spend what it takes to get my raptor running perfect. So if you beat your raptor up and nothing has happened to your stem im pretty sure I don’t ride as aggressive as you because I ride on the street. It’s made out of better material than the OEM so I should be fine. If something does happen hey that’s trial and error I will learn next time to get better quality.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Bottle of rattle can, or do it right with powder coat for like $40 tops depending on your area and it’s still a good deal over the houser
I don’t like to do paint jobs myself only for small things. If i buy the stem for $180 and spend money on powder coat I’m at 220 for that I’ll get the housers $20 more bucks.

·
11,054 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have read on the yxz forums some guys had problems with splines on the Alba having some slop. That would kill me. Not everyone had that problem though, and I’m sure Alba would warranty it for you anyway.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts