Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the stem bearing is worn in my raptor 660 and i cant seem to get it out, i have the handlebars removed the collar behind the fuel tank removed, and the nut and tie rods removed, but i cant get the stem out. i done a search but cant really figure out where im going wrong?

any help greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Technically you have the bearing out, it's the black collar near the top of the stem. (Number 6 in the drawing below)

The pittman arm is the thing the 2 tie rods bolt to on this end, and the nut and cotter key that holds that onto the stem needs to be removed (which I think you've already done). In which case you need to slide the pittman arm down off the stem's splines, and after that the whole thing should slide up and out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i have the pittman arm off but the stem still wont come up for me. should ift just slide out?

i tried tapping it out with a hammer but no joy?

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Yes it should pull out, my guess is the lower bearing is what is fighting you now.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I would use a brass punch and drive it upwards hitting the punch with a hammer...........

·
Registered
298 Posts
I had to use a brass punch on mine as well.

·
GIVE'ER SUM
569 Posts
i used air hammer to get mine out. didnt know how to get the lower stem bearing and retainer out so i called local yami shop and they said to just pound it out. so i tryd and tryd and no luck.so heated it with torch and still no luck. so took a good look at the retainer and put the biggest nut i could find that fit it and tryd turnig the retainer. WOW! the retainer is threaded! didnt know that! thanks local yami shop for nothin! bearing fell right out and reinstall was slick. sorry bout the rant but hope this helps

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Guess I wasn't aware of that either, thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

·
GIVE'ER SUM
569 Posts
yamaha has a special tool to get the retainer out according to the clymer repair book

·
Registered
141 Posts
I made a tool to get mine out.:D. Find a big nut that fits into retainer and weld another big nut to it..Then use a socket and breaker bar and it comes right out !!!!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I made a tool to get mine out.:D. Find a big nut that fits into retainer and weld another big nut to it..Then use a socket and breaker bar and it comes right out !!!!
I just used a long nut used for holding threaded rod together............:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts