Raptor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a primary drive x-ring chain and it seems way stiff. It has very little use but dont remember it being so stiff when I put in on new. I have cleaned it and put lube on and still stiff. I was wondering how do I tell if a chain is too stiff or do I just have a stiffer chain? When i lift the rear of the quad and spin the tires I only get about 1 whole turn from the tires before it stops which doesn't seem right either.

·
Registered
366 Posts
X ring chains are already really stiff. If you use chain wax that will make it stiffer. It should be fine but its probably robbing you of a few ponies.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
I believe all the dune guys use a non o-ring chain not really sure what an x ring is but I doubt sand is good for it....

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use sidewinder lube on it. So if I ride 3/4 dunes 1/4 trail should I go non-oring chain? Ok so x-ring chains are a bit stiffer are they stiffer than o-rings?

·
Registered
366 Posts
x-ring chain uses a flat o-ring instead of a round one so it has more contact surface on the seal. An o-ring/x-ring chain is supposed to be lower maintenance because it holds the lube in. Non o-ring is supposed to wear out faster but free up a little hp because it has way less resistance. Its all personal preference. I use a non o-ring because i clean and oil my chain after every ride and i like not having to worry about getting dirt and grime trapped under the seals. If you maintain your chain a standard chain should last just as long as any o-ring or x-ring chain. My two cents...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts