Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, thanks for your help so far! I am still having issues with the carbs on the 02 & the 05. I ordered kits, cleaned & rebuilt the carbs on both quads. Both quads are stock. Both quads had 140/145 jets in them & thats what the new kits came with. We set the floats at 13mm & did the clear tube method. When doing the clear tube method, we had to set the floats around 9mm to get the 3mm reading with the clear tube.

The 02 will idle but seems to me that it is very lean. When you try to rev it up, it pops thru the exhaust around 1/4 to 1/2 throttle.

The 05 will idle also but seems rich. It loads up at idle & spits/spudders when you rev it. Once you clear it out a little, it will rev on up & runs good. Just seems to be rich at idle.

Any help would be great. If I had the cash I would pitch these things & buy a pair of Edelbrock carbs! I have been messing with these for 2 weeks. The weather here in Missouri is great & we need to be riding!

·
Master of the Electron
15,070 Posts
Honestly, the Edelbrocks don't make tuning any easier... I will also assume that your cleaning included total disassembly and cleaning of each of the jets, rodding out the pilot jets and spraying cleaner and air through each of the body's passages.

If the bikes are truly stock, then stock settings should suffice - BUT, if I recall, the clear tube method has you set fuel level higher than stock, which should make all three circuits run a bit richer than stock.

Where are your fuel screws and needles set, on each bike?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, we took them compleatly apart & soaked everything in chem-dip. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by cleaning of each of the jets & rodding out the pilot jets. We did spray cleaner and air through each of the passages & installed the entire carb kit. I verified that all jets had the correct matching #'s on them & verified that the correct jet went in the correct carb. We have played with the fuel screws from 2 rounds out, up to 3 rounds out. I can not remember the exact setting on the needles but I think they were in the 3rd setting. We put them back exactly like the were when we started. The bikes are stock. No mods at all. Clear tube method puts the fuel level 3mm above the point were the carb & the bowl meet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, the 02 was running perfect. It would just leak fuel from the bottom of the carb after you shut the engine off. It was like this for a long time, I just would shut off the fuel when I wasnt riding it. Only reason I went thru the carb was because I was doing the 05 so I figured I would just do them both!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Best I can tell, all of the jets you are talking about were replaced because they came with the new kit.

·
Master of the Electron
15,070 Posts
Okay, so jets were replaced with new, same number jets in the proper locations. One can expect that the new jets were clean... I hope.

Did you remove the needles from the slides? Did you replace them with the c-clips on the same notch? Did you avoid getting any chem-dip on the rubber diaphragms? Were you careful when reinstalling the diaphragms such that they didn't get pinched when the covers were replaced? Do the slides move smoothly within the bodies?

Did you remove the choke plunger and clean it's bore and passages in the body?

Are the carbs fully seated in the intake manifold boots and the clamps fully tightened?

Are you testing with the air cleaner in place and the air box lid mounted and latched?

Is 13mm the spec'd level or is it that suggested in the Clear Tube Method? If higher than stock, the bike will run richer and may need re-jetting or significant tweaking.

Hmm, so much more I can ask.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, Replaced them with the c-clips on the same notch.
No chem dip on the rubber.
Diaphrams look good, not pinched.
Slides move well.
Choke plunger & bore are clean & have been re-checked
Carbs are fully seated & I sprayed the boots with carb cleaner to check for leaks.
Air cleaner is in place & lid is on.
The 13mm foat level & the 3mm measurements are from the OE book.

NOTEWe did find that on the 05 the seat that that the rod on one of the carbs fit in was left out. We replaced it & now the 05 is doing the same exact thing the 02 is doing. Both pop thru the exhaust around 1/4 to 1/2 throttle & dont want to rev up without really forcing them to.

Seems odd to me that both had different issues & after the kits (and finding my mistake on the 05), they both now are doing the same exact thing. I am missing something!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Make sure the vacuum tubes are hooked up and they are in the intake boot tight or they will be lean.

·
Master of the Electron
15,070 Posts
No, those are not vacuum tubes, they are simply vents - connecting to the air cleaner side not the intake manifold vacuum side. There is, if I recall, a vacuum port on one of the intake boots (used for the motorcycle version of the 660) that has a plug/cap on it. Your spraying cleaner around the intake shows that that is intact.

Now, since both are doing the same thing, do we suspect the kits? Where did you get them and what components did you use? If they came with slide needles, and your issue is at above 1/4 throttle, I'd suspect them first. Luckily, it's pretty easy to replace them with the originals, and you're in an enviable position - two quads with identical symptoms to play one against the other.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. The kits I used are from Ebay & they are the Shindy brand like you would see here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-05-Yamaha-YFM-660-660R-Raptor-Carb-Carburetor-Kit-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5198406a86QQitemZ350446709382QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

When you say slide needle, are you talking about the jet needle I assume?

Messing with the 05, we got it going a little better by turning the pilot screws out 5 rounds. Stock setting was 3 rounds out. We have also changed the settings on the jet needle & it seems like the middle setting is the best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts