Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well guys I am amazed. I have an 86 250R that I bought about a year ago. IT was beat to shit and back with a cracked swingarm, bad bearings, rear carrier, bad sprockets and chain, very rusted expansion chamber, front fork seals, super badly bleached tank, and bad clutch but had really really good compression and strong motor, no frame welds, and all original plastics except for front fender. So I bought it and decided to restore it. Over the past year I have spent many man hours and dollars doing all the work myself in my garage. I wet sanded the tank and everything. The bike looks like almost new now and new to the untrained eye or to guys unfamiliar with this bike. I had taken it out in the woods a few times and through mud but never really tested it against fast bikes and experienced riders. I bought my raptor from a friend. It is 2007 stock. It was the fastest stock bikes at LA dunes about 1 month ago. It screams. I assumed it would rape the 250R but I was wrong. Finally went out to a local riding area last weekend and got to do some racing with both of the bikes. I was blown away when I let a friend take it up the drag strip against a new 450R and wax it. The guy riding was about 230 lbs and the 250R didnt have straight paddles and he was smoking a new 450R with a lighter rider and straight paddles. I know this aint going to win me any friends on this raptor forum but just thought I'd share. I love my raptor and it is a great bike that does everything pretty well. But everytime my 250R would pull on it. I had three offers to buy the bike on the spot and one guy wanting to trade me a z400. Of course the 250R is a six speed and only weighs about 300 lbs or maybe even a little less. I am going to mod my raptor now and I'm sure with the mods it will eat the 250R. The 250R is stock except for pipe, k&n intake and 2 size bigger main jet. No engine work done at all. Pretty amazing that a 25 yr old antique can still hang with and beat the new bikes.

***************I guess I need to correct the title since the 250R is not totally stock. No motor work though***********

·
Registered
191 Posts
If that thing has a fresh motor and is still crisp I have no doubt that it waxed those bikes.
The old ATC 250r is an absolute beast.
I have an old yamaha IT490 that will wax new crf450s.
You can't beat the old 2' smokes

·
Registered
332 Posts
thats cool. i have always wanted to ride a 3 atc250r.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Not very surprised those 250r's would haul.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I went from an 86 250R ATC to the 07 Raptor I have now, I was really disapointed in the Raptor when I first got on it. The gearinging was to low for my expectations I was expecting a lot from the Raptor in comparison to a 250R. But with the mods I have on the Raptor the 250R could only get me on top end. My Raptor will top out at 87 and the 250R topped out at 95 MPH. I have sold my 250R and I miss it. It had an awsome power band.

·
Registered
361 Posts
How would it match up against a big three bike?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I went from an 86 250R ATC to the 07 Raptor I have now, I was really disapointed in the Raptor when I first got on it. The gearinging was to low for my expectations I was expecting a lot from the Raptor in comparison to a 250R. But with the mods I have on the Raptor the 250R could only get me on top end. My Raptor will top out at 87 and the 250R topped out at 95 MPH. I have sold my 250R and I miss it. It had an awsome power band.
I'd like to clock it. 95 sounds too fast to me. Maybe so though

How would it match up against a big three bike?
If all was equal (rider, good launch, etc) I'm betting a big three bike would beat it in a sand drag. It is easy to tell on paper but the power curves arent taken into account. What is rwhp of a big 3 bike and what is weight? compare that to the power/weight ratio of the 250R. Doesnt take gearing into account though. 250R has six speed. The bike is in sixth at the finish line. Not sure if the rappy has topped out before that. I also think because the 250R is a two stroke it is easier to launch because of the lack of low end torque. Of course we can always change sprockets to take care of any gearing advantage might have.

I might be at sandhill tomorrow so if you got your modded rappy bring it out and we'll run em. ;)

I'll pm you my number and you can text me if yall are goin and i'll do the same.

Man everytime I try to clcik on your username to pm you, the drop down dissappers. PM me yours and maybe we'll be able to get together.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
get it on video!!!!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Did you guys think they were slow or something...? My brothers air-cooled 5 speed 250r keeps right up with my raptor and all he has is a pipe and 34mm carb.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Not at all... Just never been exposed to one.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
If you never experienced A Honda 250R ATC they were flat out awesome. They are quick as hell and had a good top end. My buddy's back in the day was fast as hell. Just dont have to turn to sharp and your ok... Don't underestimate the ATC if you come up on one.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I had 85 and 86 250R. Both ran great for its time. They are great wheelie machines, and the suspension was not bad. Top end on the bikes were around 80-85

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well guys I (and my 250R) got our asses handed to us this past weekend. When I beat the raptor, we were on dirt. When my buddy beat the 450R, they were in loose sand. Maybe I cant drag race worth a shit in sand but, I got smoked badddd by a 450R and I'm sure would have been smoked by a raptor too. I was embarrassed-literally. I missed 2nd on two seperate races. I even had a guy give me two bike lenghts and he still destroyed me. So maybe the title needs to be changed and maybe I need to practice my launches in sand. Maybe I was just off and had a bad day : (

·
Registered
390 Posts
Fireball, You are up against a lot of variables. Was the 450R stock? what type of tires did he have and what tire are you using? Is your 250R stock? was the 450R sand bagging your buddies race? Are you comfortable on the 250R and able to ride it to it's fullest? The 250R does have its limits, its not invincible just as any bike or quad is. I know my 250R was better on hard pack and asphalt. You definitely needed to stay in the power band or it would fall flat when running in sand.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
All valid points for sure. I know the 450R wasnt sand bagging last time and that engine is fresh too. Basically, I bogged or spun on my launches and just had a shitty day in the sand. I know if the 250R hooks up and I do my part, it should stomp ass on alot of bikes. I think I was leaning on the tank too long after the launch and not transfering weight to help it get traction so it was spinning too much. I guess the sand is a different animal and def need some serious seat time to get used to it. I wasnt running straight paddles either. All that being said, I do love my rappy too. I have an 85 mint 350X atc with about 20hrs on it since new and I USED to call it the torque monster till I got my raptor. It is a great bike that does pretty much whatever you want it to do. If I could only have one I would take the raptor and really miss the 250R...

EDIT: Of course the light switch power band threshold of the 250R makes it a tough bike to ride to its fullest which I have done a decent job of but I guess not so much in the sand.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
can someone translate this?
Big three bike means a bike modified with exhaust, intake, and tune. The three basic bolt on mods that are said to increase horsepower by up to 25-30% or so I have seen advertised. Kind of hard to believe the manufacturers would choke the bikes down that much but I suppose it could be emmission related or something...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If I could only have one I would take the raptor and really miss the 250R...

Thats the choice I made 4 years ago. Have fun with it.;)

Fortunately, I am keeping both and maybe sending my spare 250R motor off to Cali for an ESR 310cc upgrade :eek::eek: I guess you could have the best of both worlds (or nearly) with a turbo'd raptor. Have the awesome low end grunt and the top end boost that just keeps pulling forever. I guess you would have to size the turbos and BOV right to keep from killing the low end with turbo lag. I've never seen one before but it might end up being just like a two stroke with having to spool up and stuff to stay in the boost. BTW... I cracked my OEM plastic on my 250R last weekend (will be better than 300 to replace if I can find em)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts