Raptor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys i cannot figure out how to get the muffler insert out. it is stuck or something. is there a trick on how to get it out?

·
Registered
134 Posts
If your talking about the spark arrester all you have to do is unscrew the allen bolt on the bottom of the pipe (near the outlet) then pull the tip with a set of pliers. Sometimes they are a little tough to pull. In that case let the quad warm up and try pulling it out. If that still doesnt work have someone rev the quad while you are pulling on it. That should do the trick. Just pull the F*ck out of it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool buddy. i will try that tomorrow...

·
Registered
478 Posts
I had same problem and pulled and pulled warmed it up heated it up and nothing worked. Finally sprayed some WD-40 on it let it sit a few minutes, grabbed the edge with some vise grips and twisted and it came right out.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
what is more louder the stock muffler w/ arrester out or the hmf sport slip on. i only ask because i plan on getting the hmf slip on and whanted to know if it was louder than the stocker..

·
Registered
134 Posts
I am pretty sure it is louder, but if it is not it will definetely sound "better". Slips usually have a better tone.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Hey guys.. tried all of your "solutions" on mine and for some reason no way in hell was it commin out.. basically destroyed it pulling so hard with a vice grip.. We finally did get it out (had to make a "slide hammer" type device that basically just yanked the sucker out) Wasnt fun, but its out now! guess ill have to find a different one if i ever want quiet back

·
Registered
464 Posts
YellowistheFastest said:
I had same problem and pulled and pulled warmed it up heated it up and nothing worked. Finally sprayed some WD-40 on it let it sit a few minutes, grabbed the edge with some vise grips and twisted and it came right out.
Where exactly were you spraying the WD 40 at? I'm having a heck of a time getting mine out. Thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
I pulled mine out today no problem. I just took a heavy duty set of pliers with low profile teeth, clamped on the bottom of the insert, and yanked hard a couple times with a slight up and down motion and it came right out.

What pissed me off is what I saw inside the pipe after removing the insert.....a big ass wall back behind where the insert goes :( I was really hoping the can was a straight shot through (like the DS650's muffler is). Guess I'll have to get an exhaust system after all.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
when they are brand new they come out with little to know effort. Once you start using it though and going threw the heat cycles and getting it wet they become a real bitch to get out. Water will get in there and rust it all up.
all you can do is unscrew that bolt, take a pair of vice grips and shoot some wd-40 in there and pull like a mother..while kinda "whiggling" it back and fourth.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would suggest those folks that run the stock can put some assembly lube around the circumference of the insert. Sound make it much easier to get out when it's time for maintenance or a change in pipe configuration.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yeah mine just yanked out. I only had about 2 hours on it. I was amazed on how restrictive that thing was. Don't know what was up with the fins on the end! And with mine out it looks straight through the muffler.

·
Registered
464 Posts
rich807 said:
I pulled mine out today no problem. I just took a heavy duty set of pliers with low profile teeth, clamped on the bottom of the insert, and yanked hard a couple times with a slight up and down motion and it came right out.

The vice grips worked for me today with a hard downward pull. Run it like this a couple days until the new exhaust shows up. :grin_nod:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.