Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering, cuz one of my coworkers said they have a stocker, and they run race gas and it makes a nice improvment, i was wondering if it's worth it., and it's like 8 bucks a gallon over here so i didn't know if i wanted to spend that extra, cuz reg pump prem is like 3.00$ right now, it's went down a little, was ilke 3.30

·
Registered
134 Posts
NOS and alky, man, you cant go wrong. Forget the pipe, intake and controller, just throw a jet engine on the back. LOL.

Dont waste the money on race gas bro, save it up and trick out your machine with bolt ons

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wouldn't nother spending more money to run race gas if your stock. Really doesn't do you any good.. i would run just Supreme..

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
did i mention my co worker was a girl...makes sence, she probly heard it somewhere and just started doing it.......i should start doing her, nice fakies up front.....i was like, nice bolt on's!!!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
ha ha.....yeah, there is absolutely NO reason to run race gas on a stock machine...or even with the "3mods". you are only running 9.2.1 compression!

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
If it was me, I would not buy race fuel for a bike that is not heavily modified. If the bike had a high compression piston, port and polish, new cam, etc, then it would be wise to run race fuel.

Just my two cents.

~Brian

·
Registered
272 Posts
When I was at the Rock Springs dunes in Wy there was a really fast "stock" bike that was supposedly running 85 octane. He said that at higher elevation you don't even need 91 with stock internals. In fact he said that he drags faster with lower octane fuel. I have have always put 91 in my machine, but I was wondering what you guys thought.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Sounds like BS to me.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have always heard if you run too high an octane you can actually do engine damage, and supposedly the engine runs a lot hotter. I have never run anything above supreme. :)

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i'll keep my gas like my pizza, supreme...

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
Hairballusmaximus said:
I have always heard if you run too high an octane you can actually do engine damage, and supposedly the engine runs a lot hotter. I have never run anything above supreme. :)
Correct, especially in automobiles.

Higher octane fuel actually burns cooler, and is less volitale. 87 octane is highly combustible, and can cause early detonation in the power stroke on highly tunned engines.

~Brian

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have only been running regular gas from the gas stations.Does it make a difference to run the higher ones or the extreem with only the three mods?Or is it basically the same shiite?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm no expert but I have noticed that i get a tad bit more power. I've only ran 1 tank of this 100 octane fuel, and to me at $6 a gallon its just not worth it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The best performance will be with the least amount of motor octane needed to achieve the most cylinder pressure. To much octane will burn slower and not cause the desired performance. Now when the Dynojet ignition module comes out and people start tweaking the timing then they may need a little more octane. on the bottle a little more octane is cheep insurance against detonation.

Tell her if she really wants to impress you she will learn to read a plug.

I honestly run noting but 76 supreme and every now and then throw in a gal of 100 per 10 gal of 91. Since I hear form most people the 700 runs lean from the factory I tried a little experiment my last time out. It did seen to help header from getting as hot. LOL it was just a test and playing around though and probably in my head.

Stock or with the 3mods you would be fine without <91 octane fuel.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
You know, I have just out of habbit always ran premium gas in all my machines. Wonder if I should try mid grade and see what happens? Were only talking about 9.2.1 compression!

·
Registered
494 Posts
When I had the 3 mods, I always ran 87. It never pinged, and was the cheapest way to go.

Now, with my modest modifciation, I will be feeding it a strict diet of VP C12 110.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Glamis700 said:
When I had the 3 mods, I always ran 87. It never pinged, and was the cheapest way to go.

Now, with my modest modifciation, I will be feeding it a strict diet of VP C12 110.
If you are running 87 at Glamis I should be able to run 85 in Colorado at 6000 ft right? Does the lower the octane mean that it will have more contaminants?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts