Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a short article explaining how to extend you stock swing-arm.

Several things you must take into consideration is: Do you have the ability to cut it straight?
Do you have a new segment of weldable aluminum? Finally do you have the ability to weld it?

Once you have decided to do this there are some simple things to do to make this much easier. Cut the swing-arm directly behind the shock linkage just before the carrier. This will allow for the use of the stock shock. THE STOCK SHOCK WILL ONLY WORK PROPERLY WITH A MAXIMUM EXTENSION OF +3. It works best to cut the swinger in a ban saw, which clamps firmly to the carrier just like our bearing housing.

Most important step GET A WELDABLE GRADE OF ALUMINUM. Finding metric dimensional al tubing is next to impossible, so i recommend finding a strip of flat stock. However wide you go will be how much longer the swinger will be. I went to a welding shop and they gave it to me for free, so give that a try. Measure where to bend the new al and cut half way through it then bend it. Next weld all four corners for strength, KEEP IT SQUARE AND STRAIGHT OR THE FINAL PRODUCT WONT BE. Once that is all done i recommend beveling all surfaces including both pieces of the swinger.

I strongly recommend having it TIG welded. I work in a fab shop so this whole process was easy. TIG welding will be the strongest, and for the abuse the swinger will go through i would hope you agree. I have three pass welds on all joints for maximum strength.

Now you are done. Next you can either grind down the welds and get it painted or just paint it. I had mine powder-coated gloss black.

I now have two years on mine and it is holding up well. Keep in mind your skid plate will no longer fit, unless you add the same lenght to it to move the bolt holes.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Please sticky me

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes i believe that was correct if my memory serves me right. It has held up to TWO years of abuse so far.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you weld the inside corners of your extension 'box' or just the outside corners?
Just the outside.
I knew there was going to be some details that i forgot.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will get quality pics this friday.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Any pics yet? what grade aluminum and filler rod did you use?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
here are some pics of my swinger that my buddy welded for me. he is a welder at a coal mine, and did it all at work. its not the prettiest looking thing........but iv beat the hell out of it for 2 years now, and have had no problems.

here are some pics i took about a year ago... there is also a big square piece of aluminum welded on the bottom for added strength.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
so you just cut the swinger...extended it by 2" and welded the hell outta it with 1/4" flat stock all the while making sure to keep it true and square. That's not to hard sounding. What did you do about brake lines? What size chain did you go with? Is 2" really a huge difference? Thanks

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
stock brake line is fine with a +2.
there is no way you could give me a stock swinger thats been modified.
as cheap as swingers are getting just buy a used one and be done.
you will love the twin row carrier that they all use and get rid of the stock carrier that we start with
mike

1 - 20 of 30 Posts