Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im heading to the dunes again on monday. were taking the 700's and a 400ex.

the 400 has stock 450r tires i believe on it. ill see if i can grab a pic for a better reference. my girlfriend is riding the 400, shes ridden a quad like twice before so ill need to teach her some.

anyway, my question is how do stock type tires perform? do you bury yourself alot of the time just trying to get going? can you climb anything? id kinda like to know before hand, buying paddles for it are out of the question.

if its a pain in the ass, ill probably end up riding it. which will result in some killer rev limiter powershift dune climb videos at least.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have ridden at Pismo Beach and have had fun without paddles. You can get stuck but overall if you keep moving you will be fine. Which dunes are you going to?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I've been to Little Sahara UT w/o paddles and I had no problem climming Sand Mountain with out them. You can get stuck easier on stockers but just ridding you'll be fine if you do need to stop try to be pointing down hill or just over the crest of the dune. feather the clutch when starting so you don't get any wheel spin but after that let it rip. Stockers are fun cause you can let the back end slide real easy

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have ridden dunes with the stock tires too. There is a bit of technique to riding dunes with them as mentioned before just dont stop untill your at the top of the hill on flat sand or with a slight down angle. Not sure about the 400's but I always found taking off in 2nd gear gives less chance of getting bogged too. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Stock tires can be used in the dunes. Ive done it before just for comparrison. If your play riding youll be fine. 4 strokes tend to get fairly decent traction....moreso than the 2 strokes. Theres such a thing as too much traction. I wouldnt even bother putting paddles on the 400s. Years ago an X girfriend of mine had a Warrior, with V paddles, and neither one of us could make this steep hill in Coral Pink, cuz it just bogged down near the top so bad. We switched to the stock knobbies and made it! This is due to tire speed and being in the powerband(or should I say peak operating range, since the warrior is absolutely gutless!!!!)

With my 700 (before I put the turbo on), I would launch in 3rd gear with the knobbies. This was with intake\exhaust and programmer. I could climb any hill with knobbies. I normally run paddles cuz it accelerates much faster rather than spin the tires, and I like the sand that it kicks up.

An added side note, ir your gonna be the leader, and teaching your girl to ride, she will appreciate not having sand kicked in her face.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
You should be fine on knobbies. As far as paddles or no paddles it depends on the sand conditions. You are better off with knobbies in wet/heavy sand and paddles in soft/dry sand. The 350 and 400 can benifit from paddles, just don't over paddle them. I always take both and if it rains I will switch back to knobbies.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info guys.

yea, my girl is going to wear my helmet and gloves, so she will be good. i wont kick any sand on her, at first :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts