Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so to get four quads and a CJ in the trailer, i had to stand the Yamahas up on their rear tires and grab bars. Going down was fine, but when we got home, the Raptor wouldn't start. I finally figured out it was the battery after changing the start relay, and then it wouldn't run right. When I'd go out to the garage to mess with it, the whole place smelled like raw gasoline. I'd get it running after tearing down the carbs, cleaning everything, changing the spark plug, the fuel filter, even the fuel lines - then I'd take it for a spin, and it would just flat shut off.

I figured it out today - the air box was full of gas (and dirt). The gas would slosh into the air cleaner and flood the motor out, just like the electrical system was shut off. (Did I mention the new CDI box?) I cleaned out the air box, and the quad runs fine.

Has this happened to anyone else? Are there precautions for transporting with the quad standing up?

·
A-10 Crew Chief
1,143 Posts
Did you turn your gas off before you stood it up?

·
VIP
1,068 Posts
Anytime I stand my 660 on the rear grab bar, I always shut the fuel off while it is running and wait for it to stall, so it uses up all the fuel in the float bowls.

You just found out what happens if you don't turn the fuel off and drain the bowls.:D

·
Master of the Electron
15,653 Posts
Gotta turn the tank petcock off on Rappy's when standing them up, or 1/2 the tank can drain into the airbox.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Anytime we transport out quads we turn the fuel petcock off, just the bouncing around causes the bikes to flood during transport, it doesnt look good going to races with bikes that will not start.................

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had turned the petcock off, but I think the kids refueled the quad just before we put them in the trailer, and then I didn't take it out to burn the fuel off.

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts