Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this is really stupid, why the F do they put the mixture screws on th bottom of the carb where they cannot be reached? :mad: My stubby screwdriver is too stubby and the blade is too fat. The only screwdriver I can find that fits the screw CAN'T even get to the damn screw. THE REAL QUESTION is THIS.... who makes a set of carbs for Raptor with fuel screws on the side?

Does anyone else feel my pain? these screws are ADJUSTMENTS...parts should NOT have to be removed to get at them.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
OK, this is really stupid, why the F do they put the mixture screws on th bottom of the carb where they cannot be reached? :mad: My stubby screwdriver is too stubby and the blade is too fat. The only screwdriver I can find that fits the screw CAN'T even get to the damn screw. THE REAL QUESTION is THIS.... who makes a set of carbs for Raptor with fuel screws on the side?

Does anyone else feel my pain? these screws are ADJUSTMENTS...parts should NOT have to be removed to get at them.
Welcome to the forum............

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
THE REAL QUESTION is THIS.... who makes a set of carbs for Raptor with fuel screws on the side?
Answer - NOBODY.

Solution? Vitos jet kit with extended fuel screws - they extend below the carbs with knurled finger grips.

Cheaper solution (but not nearly as easy and cool as the extended screws) - short flat blade screwdriver tip made for drill/driver held with needle nose pliers - you can get about 1/8 turn at a time.

Also, right angle gear driven screw drivers are available that do work, but cost about the same as the Vitos kit. (pic below from http://www.sudco.com/tool.html#950-478 )

BTW, try replacing the spark plugs in an early 80's Chevy Monza - they're maintenance items, yet you have to lift the block to get to them.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Just use a screwdriver bit for a drill.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Just buy a flexible shaft carb adjusting tool from autozone,its what i use and it works great.
It accepts 1/4 drive bits.
It doesnt come with a flat blade bit but one from a cordless drill works fine.
It cost 12 bucks.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...d=carburator+adjusting+tool&fromString=search

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Tyvm for the welcomes, and all the info! very helpful. I believe I will check autozone for the flexible driver first. Then proceed to the extended screws If this adjustment takes care of my problems.

TommyWarren: LOL...believe me, hammertime crosssed my mind!

QuadManiac: Yes I'm sure about the monza, same deal with fiero!

Now that I think about it...maybe a stiff vacuum hose shoved over the end of a bit mite work in a pinch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tyvm for the welcomes, and all the info! very helpful. I believe I will check autozone for the flexible driver first. Then proceed to the extended screws If this adjustment takes care of my problems.

TommyWarren: LOL...believe me, hammertime crosssed my mind!

QuadManiac: Yes I'm sure about the monza, same deal with fiero!

Now that I think about it...maybe a stiff vacuum hose shoved over the end of a bit mite work in a pinch.
a piece of hose on a bit should work also.
Its also good for starting spark plugs in hard to reach areas.
Also a small mirror to see what your actually doing helps to line the screwdriver up in the slot of the mixture screw.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried the hose/bit configuration, but the hose twists up almost to the point of turning the screw and the bit pops out of the screw...GRRRRRR.... I have been able to move them, but not accurately enough to count any turns. I think the best option is going to be extended screws. I'm going to try to epoxy some kind of extension onto the stock screws, if I mess that up, I'll break down and buy something.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Just use a 1 to 1.5 inch long drill bit. not the short ones.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so I broke down and took my carbs off and found I was WAY outta whack with the pilot screws..adjusted them. Runs like a raped date until....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts