Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have done it before. I did it as an experiment. I cut the muffler off and welded a stainless truck tip in its place. It was DEAFEANING! With a capital D! It backfired on deaccleration like nobodys buisness. I was running it with the lid off the box. The spark plug was white, due to no programmer on the quad at the time. This was back in Sept of 05 when the dealers and magazines were still saying the stock ECU would compensate for airflow changes.

Long story short, im running a Trinity exhaust, PD intake and Dynojet programmer.

Back pressure also plays a part in no muffler vs. running a muffler. Even though most of the mufflers are straight through, theres still more back pressure when compared to a straight pipe. A motor needs some back pressure to work right at lower rpms.

Attachments

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I kno about the back pressure...all you would do is put a slightly smaller tail pipe/tip on the exhaust...and with an Hi-flow intake and an EFI controller it should work good.....

·
Registered
178 Posts
So, if you're back to the proper backpressure by reducing the tip diameter, what is the advantage over running with a muffler/core with the same backpressure? Flow is flow.

Straight pipe is cheaper, no doubt.

Just curious.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Im not sure what your question is.

The Trinity muffler does not have the same back pressure as the stock muffler. The Trinity muffler does not have the same back pressure as a straight pipe either, even though its a straight through muffler. How can that be? The exhaust expands through the glass packing(creating a little back pressure and cancelling noise).

Ulitmately, running a muffler will keep you from having ear piercing headaches, plus I have a header to go with it. My ears are happy and I make more power over a straight pipe.

If your short on money, straight pipe it, and get back to us and tell us how you like it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
after seeing this thread, i went and took my yosh can off, and rode around a bit. it was nuts it was so loud. i kinda liked the way it sounded except for when you let off at low speeds. it sounded like it was making sick power. when it was in the power band, it actually felt like it was pulling harder, however as soon as it dropped out, power was gone. im gonna see if ive got a tip thatll fit at the shop, and ill report back.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I 2nd that Mike. Letting off the gas made my quad backfire like crazy. This was back when I had no programmer. I felt my top end was better too, but its a narrow rpm range. T he noise isnt worth it.....words can not describe how Fucking loud mine was, especially with that big ass megaphone tip.

·
Registered
54 Posts
mine didnt backfire at all, it just cackled. at high speeds, it sounded awesome, but at low speed sounded horrible. i have a pc3, and just richened it by 1pt across the board. ive never felt 4th gear pull like it did, but power was narrow. i know how loud it is! the lead pipe before the can fell off while i was riding, and it was running basically just a header pipe. it was gross. i figured the tip would make it deeper? im gonna try to get hold of another slip on can, and pull everything out, use it as an expansion chamber...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.