Raptor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the other day we went up state to do some trail riding. I took my raptor to a guys house for him to load it up along with the other quads and i get a call with him saying "dude your headers glow at idle". I had never noticed before because i dont do much night time riding. The other night i had to see for myself and SURE enough they do glow about 3'' out of the head. Now im thinking to myself, this is strange. With all the 20 degree weather we have had ive NEVER had to use the choke and i get a nice little cloud of black smoke come out when it starts. It also smells rich. I do have a popping on decel sometimes but its just one loud burp sound, not much of a high pitch pop. I have a complete HMF exhaust, k&n proflow with the lid still on, dyno jet needles and main jets (set for sea level which i am at) also .25 pilots set to around 3 turns out. Im not understanding how i could be lean? Like i said, ive never used the choke on this thing EVER and it starts up in less than 1 second of me hitting the start button. I just did my valves so i know its not that. Could this be a rich issue? I notice that sometimes after the raptor has been driven and it warms up when i start it back up it will start up at a low idle and about 2 seconds later it goes back to normal. My girlfriends raptor glows a little at idle as well and she doesnt have an exhaust but i did put the .25 pilots in there. The strange comparison between the two is that my raptors exhaust doesnt get anywhere near as hot as hers at idle and low speed. Any suggestions welcome. Ive been driving the ever living crap out of this thing since i got it and ive never had a misfire, bog, or any symptoms that would say i run lean under a load. The throttle response when coming out of idle is very smooth in neutral. IDK. Ive heard its normal for the pipes to glow, ive heard its not normal.

Thanks,
Johnas

·
Master of the Electron
15,034 Posts
GLowing a bit in the dark is pretty normal... if you're popping on decel, open your fuel screws up 1/8 turn each - popping should stop, and it will glow a little duller.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK. Thanks. Im glad you didnt say OMG youre going to blow it up. LOL... BTW i ported my intake boots yesterday.. OMG that made a world of difference..

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
OK. Thanks. Im glad you didnt say OMG youre going to blow it up. LOL... BTW i ported my intake boots yesterday.. OMG that made a world of difference..
Did you match port only or open the ports also....

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The boots are flush all the way around the port. And i opened them up as far as i felt safe going in the rubber itself. I was amazed at how small the left port was.. However, not more shocked than how crappy those ports are from the casting.. GAWD i need to change that SOOOOOOOOOOOON!!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
The boots are flush all the way around the port. And i opened them up as far as i felt safe going in the rubber itself. I was amazed at how small the left port was.. However, not more shocked than how crappy those ports are from the casting.. GAWD i need to change that SOOOOOOOOOOOON!!
A good porting job will reap very good results............

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just cleaning up thoze ports in the head should give good results. I cleaned up the ports in my car and man did it make a huge difference. I also shaved that hump out of the intake boot which im sure helped out. I noticed that the boots werent pulsing AS bad as they were before i did the porting

1 - 7 of 7 Posts