Raptor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A newbie here. I love your forums.

I have a 2002 Raptor that is making a popping noise in or around the front sprocket. Here is what I know:
1. I either need a new clutch or it needs seriously adjusted.
2. It ONLY happens when I pull in the clutch to slow down (Not stopping completely) and then when I let out on the clutch-POP POP POP!

I thought my chain might be loose, but it's not. I am scared to death the tranny might be going bad, but before I jumped to any conclusions, I figure I might as well ask the experts!!!

Thank you in advance for any help!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm not sure what your problem might be...but I do know that the 02's had some major problems with their tranny's. Probably be best to take it to a shop.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I thought it was the '01's that had bad trannys... :3question: How does it run through the gears if you shift without the clutch?

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
it was the 01's with the bad trannys but not all had the problems just most of them i take it your in gear when your doing this and hearing the noise so really you only hear this noise when you slow down and pullaway or speed up if thats the case check your chain roller by your healgard mine made a nasty sounding poping /grinding sound i thought my tranny was massed it turned out to be an $8 chain roller other then that i have no idea but good luck someone else on here probly knows more about this then i do :thumbsup:

·
Registered
137 Posts
orings in the chain could be warn out causing links to stick, I would try getting a new chain off ebay first, will only cost you like 25 bucks for replacement, and if your shop charges 65 bucks an hour just to "take a look" then 25 bucks is worth the try :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Check tightness of front sprocket nut (locking flange washer might not be locking down the nut), then check the nuts that hold on rear sprocket

1 - 7 of 7 Posts