Raptor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright after being at my builders place for over two hours arguing with him about this problem he is so stuck on my head bolts being streched...is this a common problem? i have had the head apart at least six times with 6 different gaskets..and it keeps blowing them.

it is a sleeved cylinder and he is so dead on it being the bolts rather than his sleeve job. they did however mill the head and the jug down to make sure it was "straight". and they cut little groves in the sleeve to help but its still blowing them.

I did order all new bolts but i would like to get a few more opinions (while i can still return the bolts) on what could be going on. The reason why i think its his sleeve job is it keeps blowing the gasket all around the cylinder on the cylinder side..the head side of the gasket is just fine...I even went so far as putting the copper permatex spray on the gasket to help it seal better.

what could it be?

·
Cola Crew
1,368 Posts
All and All I have used new bolts and or studs on my heads in the passed.. I too have a sleeved cylinder now and I have studs in mine... so good luck

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ive been reading on it a little more and alot of people have said to over torque them to 35 instead of 27lbs. its worth a shot i guess.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
45lbs? isnt that a little much for aluminum? i guess its very possible that they're "stretched" but idk steel bolts stretching...eh i guess it depends on what materiel its made out of

but for the 4 top ones manual says:25lbs
for the 2 side ones: 27lbs
and for the 2 allens by the timing chain: 7.2 lbs

what do you guys think to torque them to?

30,32,8? but if i can go tighter without stripping my threads let me know what the "know" stripping point is.

also just to make sure im on the same page your studs are your stock bolts right? i know arp makes some aftermarket actual studs.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i guess its worth a try. im hoping this will fix my 3month nightmare..

·
Registered
863 Posts
i have had mine apart at least 6 times. everytime i spend the coin and buy new yamaha head bolts. So far never had no issues. they are designed for a one time use. from personal experience torque to spec. or you will be pulling the threads out of the aluminum. I have had to put time serts in the following: in the case where the cylinder bolts to. not from over torque just had things apart so many times for different combo's the threads pulled. also the oil line from lower case to the head they also pulled the threads in the past. if this ever happens to anyone get the time-sert kits they are far superior to the heli-coil kits. my opinion is spend the $30-$40 for new bolts and try it. JMO

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
right thats what ive figured id rather spend the 40 bucks getting bolts then the 250 having my other cylinder plated. its worth a shot and hopefully it fixes it.

i got all my bolts accept 2 im waiting on lol...grrr they called me and i was expecting on them all being there.. just another day i have to wait and see if this fixes my problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts