Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im just a nobody from omaha nebraska but i am in love with my raptor and i cant think of anything better then riding it everyday to and from work and between friends house. i have gotton down to writing the city council two different letters stating that atvs are not far form motorcycles and if anything, could be safer. is making atvs street legal good or bad for us, the riders? i have heard both sides.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think it would be better because we know our machines inside and out, or at least on Raptor Forum we do! I wish new york would make it legal to ride quads on the road. Our raptors can certainly do city speed limits, even highway limits. They are great on gas and having 4 wheels is absolutely better then 2 in my opinion. It provides more stability and a small person would not have to worry about holding their machine up at a red light or stop sign. I mean all we need is blinkers, a speedometer, maybe a windshield, and we're set! A raptor has a brake/tail light, and headlights. But I also think requiring a different license for an atv only is a little to much, Its very similar if not the same to operating a motorcycle.....Just my input for you.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
I think it would be better because we know our machines inside and out, or at least on Raptor Forum we do! I wish new york would make it legal to ride quads on the road. Our raptors can certainly do city speed limits, even highway limits. They are great on gas and having 4 wheels is absolutely better then 2 in my opinion. It provides more stability and a small person would not have to worry about holding their machine up at a red light or stop sign. I mean all we need is blinkers, a speedometer, maybe a windshield, and we're set! A raptor has a brake/tail light, and headlights. But I also think requiring a different license for an atv only is a little to much, Its very similar if not the same to operating a motorcycle.....Just my input for you.
Okay, A Raptor, or any quad would die going 25 miles at 75mph, that would be pretty much topped out. Quads arent very good on gas mileage. We would also need street tires, and lowering would be very useful also.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Okay, A Raptor, or any quad would die going 25 miles at 75mph, that would be pretty much topped out. Quads arent very good on gas mileage. We would also need street tires, and lowering would be very useful also.

The highest limit around here where I live is 65, but most do 55. and shaving plastics would also help and if the bike is modded wouldnt it withstand more?

·
Registered
296 Posts
yeah, at least where I live. Ive never seen a sign with a higher limit.

·
Registered
364 Posts
In SD we arnt allowed on the interstate..In town driving with my stock 700 I was getting close to 40mpg, Pretty shitty on fuel milage. The #1 complaint in SD I hear is that drivers cant see us, and we cant keep up with traffic (35mph). What BS! But they dont mind the mopeds that are smaller and slower...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I feel the same way "blacknwhite" i just purchased my first quad its a 07 raptor 350 se and all i want to do is get home from work and ride it but i cant because there not allowed on the streets.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
A 350 will not keep up on a highway, even if it is 65. Around here, the speedlimit is 75 on highways, and on backroads, depends who you ask, but around 60-ish. Anyway, a quad cant be held at 75, that is pinned on a stock Banshee or 700R

·
Registered
435 Posts
A 350 will not keep up on a highway, even if it is 65. Around here, the speedlimit is 75 on highways, and on backroads, depends who you ask, but around 60-ish. Anyway, a quad cant be held at 75, that is pinned on a stock Banshee or 700R
Ive been to Michigan before and i never seen a 75mph speed limit..i have in Arizona going from Apache Junction down to Tucson. "Back roads" that are not painted nor marked are 45mph at least that is in Wisconsin.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I agree that it would be awesome to drive my Raptor to and from work or the gym in the evenings. I live in Michigan, and although I'd probably avoid the 70mph highways, I'd love to even take backroads places.

I looked up on the Michigan Secretary of State website (www.michigan.gov/sos) and found a page about ATVs. It said that they are unsafe on public roads because they have a solid rear axle and no differential, thus making them want to tip on corners or something. I think an ATV riding safety course and an ATV cycle endorsement should be given to make these street legal.

·
Master of the Electron
15,034 Posts
It's the state, not the city/township that regulates vehicles... several already allow quads on streets - Arizona for one.

Check your state laws and then contact your local state politicos to see if they are interested in helping you.

Quads, with solid rear axles, are difficult to turn on hard surfaces like asphalt, but since some states already allow it, at least there's precedent.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
In az its legal to ride the quads on the road as long as you have the requirements on your quad to do headlights, tail lights, mirrors, license plate. And you can more than 25 miles @ 75 mph while pinned, i know cause i do it every time i go riding. I know a few guys down here that ride their raptors to work and its pretty awesome to watch them get a little froggy @ traffic lights and smoke hondas from light to light. And the duro street tires help a lot on the road

·
Registered
91 Posts
I believed that in Utah ATVs are allowed on the streets but only on certain streets.
There not allowed on freeways or high ways, just the little back roads.

·
Registered
131 Posts
it's true that the motor wouldn't take many 25mile full throttle runs without some serious work without coming apart between your legs.

however, the same could be said for many different model of dirt bike. yet they can be street legal if they put the right parts on it. wouldn't be any different. and if quads were a valid vehicle, the companies that develop these machines might see a market with a demand and no supply.. quads developed and sold with similiar performance and longevity expectations at a standard sport bike could easily pull over 15k new from a reliable manufacture

1 - 20 of 20 Posts