Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fantasizing continues... Does anyone have ANY information on street legalization in Virginia? I've stared at a certain members street machine, whose name may or may not start with a "t" and end with "jobbie", so much that I'm dying to be able to ride on the streets haha... I've read most popular articles on the internet pertaining to street legalization but still I can't find anything for Virginia specifically... Yeah yeah go to my local DMV and ask. The average wait at DMV is about 2 and a half hours... The line is always out the door. I found somewhere a list of requirements for registering a vehicle in VA and one big problem was the wind shield issue... There has to be some way around all these requirements. Any suggestions, input, information is greatly appreciated :) Thanks everyone!

There is also this thread I started a while back... but I only got so far... :unsure: Check if anyone has any more info now.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Yea...good luck in this commy state.....I mean commonwealth.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha... Well Does anyone know about legalizing as a hobby car? I could fab up a seat belt (rope) lol and then tires and a street legal kit (turning signals, horn, mirrors, etc.) and a few smaller things an I think it could pass as "Other" at DMV... Hey 09RappySE where is EHS? Are they good?

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
EHS is in N.C. in rockingham...right across from "the rock" racetrack....eric did a great job with my bike, I would recomend him to anyone wanting a great tune.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahhhhh North Carolinaaaa :( lol alright thanks. So I'm guessing yet again nobody has anything on this topic???

·
Registered
621 Posts
Why would you need a windshield if your gonna be wearing a helmet? :confused:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yes ben I figured that one out about 5 minutes after posting lol...

Lol seems the only benefit of this country is that we can ride them anywhere on the road

I would still rather live in the states than this poo hole :mad:

·
A-10 Crew Chief
1,143 Posts
I have heard of a lot of people trying and not succeeding. For most states, once the title says "for offroad use", there is nothing that can be done unless you mod the frame and get it inspected as a custome vehicle. You should just move to AZ. :) You basically just sign a piece of paper at the DMV and they give you motorcycle tags, and you are street legal! lol If you are going to go through all that work, it might be easier to get a side by side as a base then go from there (not to mention safer). A quad with a seat belt equals bad news.

·
Registered
53 Posts
the main drawback that is a stopper in most states is the requirement of a limited slip rear differential.
the only way i have seen to get around this is by customizing a rear swingarm to be like a motorcycle similar to the can-am spyder.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright well after reading the Virginia Motor Vehicle code (46.2-XXX) for something like 10 hours I have concluded it would be too challenging if even possible. I thought about moving to AZ man!!! :D lol... Or getting my sister to move there so I can register it there and ride it anywhere :lol:. I guess I'll just get an R6 :D but thats gunna be in about a year and a half lol. Thanks for the replies though everyone!

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
When I investigated this in my state the local law makers told me its all in how the atv manufacturers title the them on the origin.

·
Registered
364 Posts
In SD They give you a paper to check off all the things that you need to ride on the street. lights, mirror,ect.. Then you get your name notorized on that sheet and take it back to the courthouse. Then they will change your title to say it is road legal and give you a motorcycle plate.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Must have three wheels or less for motorcycle... NO EXCEPTIONS... To register as a buggy required is a roll-bar, seats that aren't straddled and a seatbelt. BAM! Lol... The only way this could get anywhere is what you suggested first, getting a WHOLE BUNCH of riders together and talking to the government. But unfortunately that is a little unreasonable considering the low numbers or VA riders online. I wish VA DMV was as nice as SD!!! Here you say ATV and they laugh at you :p

·
Registered
364 Posts
Must have three wheels or less for motorcycle... NO EXCEPTIONS... To register as a buggy required is a roll-bar, seats that aren't straddled and a seatbelt. BAM! Lol... The only way this could get anywhere is what you suggested first, getting a WHOLE BUNCH of riders together and talking to the government. But unfortunately that is a little unreasonable considering the low numbers or VA riders online. I wish VA DMV was as nice as SD!!! Here you say ATV and they laugh at you :p
Are there any atv organizations there? find those groups cuz they can get stuff done.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Im located in Maryland...have about 50 riders with me on the gov run down.

Question...What if you get the tags from another state and then ride in Va...wouldnt that work?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts