Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I bought a used 2002 raptor yesterday for $1000 that is said to have minor carburetor issues. It has been in the shop before for a carb cleaning and after that it ran fine but after a month or so started showing the same symptoms. The bike would start and idle but die every time you tried to rev it. Well, just starting yesterday, when I bought it, the bike will not start AT ALL. So today I found the forums and followed the sticky on how to take off the carbs. I have the carbs sitting next to me right now but I cannot get the screws off the bottom. The 4 screws on each carb are ALL stripped. Any tips? I know to replace them with allen heads when I reassemble it but I cannot even get them off :mad:. Also, once it's opened up, what should I look for? Maybe I should just take them to a shop to get rebuilt, or maybe buy a rebuild kit for them? Any and all help is appreciated, thanks!!

~Keith
Houston, TX

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
go buy a screw extractor from home depot. Basically its a drill bit with reversed threads.

·
Registered
364 Posts
take a large flathead screwdriver and pound it into the screws to create flathead screws. Take a IMPACT SCREWDRIVER to it. Its a heavy duty screwdriver with a large metal plate on the end of it.....you take a hammer to it and each impact of the hammer twists the screw till it breaks free. good luck,

Max

·
Registered
371 Posts
firstraptor said:
Can you grab the head with a visegrip?
If you cleaned the carbs and it started acting up again try cleaning the tank and petcock.
that was the same thing i did, i got them all off and went to my local hardware shop and got allen screws.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Firstraptor has the best suggestion.

A good pair of needle nose vise grips works great and you will not take a chance of screwing up your threads on the carb trying to gouge out the middle of the screw.

But onto your running problem, after the above suggestions you might also make sure you are getting a tight seal with the intake boot and that it does not have any tears/holes.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
By all means, try the needlenose pliers if you make them work. I tried it and it didnt work for me. I guarantee a screw extractor will work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got all the screws off with vise grips and replaced them all with allen head screws. After that I cleaned the carbs real well and reinstalled everything. THE BIKE STARTED AND IDLED!!!!! It would still refuse to rev, so after reading on here and then finding that I should check the parking brake cable the bike runs AMAZING!! I got a perfect '02 Raptor for $1000!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts